Children, young people and families
We work through the Children’s Trust Board, with partners, to help ensure that children and young people are kept safe, receive good quality education and any additional support needs are identified early and addressed. Three themes underpin our work: working in partnership; early intervention and prevention; and narrowing the gap for children at risk of not achieving their potential.
Our Children’s Service is rated outstanding by Ofsted overall. Services to keep children safe are judged to be good as are outcomes for Barnet’s children in care, and 91 per cent of all the borough’s schools are rated as good or outstanding.
Key areas of our work include:
- whole family approach to early intervention and prevention through the Family Focus and Intensive Family Focus Teams
- reducing domestic violence
- playing a key role in safeguarding children and young people and placing those who can no longer live with their parents with foster carers or adoptive parents
- strengthening links with voluntary sector organisations, especially where this ensures that youth and play activities are available.
We are also responsible for ensuring that Barnet’s children have access to continually improving high-quality education and we work in partnership with Barnet schools, including academies and free schools, to challenge and support them. Our role in education is evolving into one where we are the champions for children, rather than necessarily providing services directly.
We hope that you find the information you need on our website but if you need help, please contact our FYi team and they will endeavour to provide the information you require on a range of childcare or family issues. You can also visit DirectMe which provides information on services and activities for children, young people and their families in Barnet.
If you are a practitioner who works with children in Barnet please visit our dedicated website which includes a wide range of information on issues such as training, processes such as the Common Assessment Framework and how to obtain funding.
Find a service
- 2020 - Creation of 1 FTE Support Officer in the Children's Service Business Support Team
16 May 2013
- 1886 - Extension of Contract Catch 22 Community Space Challenge Funded by Big Lottery Grant
14 May 2013
- 1951 - Extension of Young Peoples' Drug and Alcohol Service Contract
3 Apr 2013