London Borough of Barnet

Applying for council housing

There are very few council and housing association properties available in Barnet and demand for housing far exceeds our supply.

This means that:

  • we can only help people with the most urgent housing need. Most people will not qualify for help with their housing
  • our first priority will be to help you stay in your current home
  • if we are able to help you find housing we will offer you one suitable offer of accommodation only. If you do not accept this it is likely that we will not be able to help you further
  • for most people the quickest and most effective way to solve your housing problem will be for you to find your own accommodation in the private rented sector (PRS). The PRS in Barnet is very expensive and if you are on a low income you may need to look for accommodation in areas which are more affordable for you

How to apply for housing help

The Housing Options Team at Barnet Homes manages the allocation of housing on the council's behalf. You can find out more about applying for housing on the Barnet Homes website. Please read the information provided carefully before making an application.

If you believe that you qualify for support with your housing please contact Barnet Homes using the details on the right of this page. 

A housing officer will assess your housing problems and give you advice on what options you have to solve them. They will be honest with you about whether they can help you.

There is no application form for you to fill in. If Barnet Homes need more information, you may be asked to attend an interview at Barnet House to help them understand your housing problems fully. You will need to provide documents to confirm your identity and current address.

In order to complete your application, Barnet Homes will need to ask you questions about your housing problem and what your housing needs are. It is important that you tell them as much information as possible and be absolutely honest with them, even if you think it will affect how they assess you. You are required by law to give truthful information and if you withhold relevant information during the application process we may take legal action against you.

It is important that you tell Barnet Homes as soon as possible if it is likely that you could become homeless. They will do everything they can to prevent this and will assess your situation, offer advice and explain your options.

How do we decide who to help?

Our allocations scheme sets out how we allocate housing. It explains how we identify who we can assist and how we prioritise applicants for rehousing. You can read our allocations scheme in the download section on the right.

We operate a simple banding system which is summarised below. Homes are usually offered to people in band 1 first:

Barnet housing bands
  Who is this for? Example
Band 1 For people who need a home urgently Somebody who has a life- threatening medical condition and cannot remain in their current home
Band 2 For people who need  home and do something for the community A working family with young children who are about to become homeless
Band 3 For people who need a home but are not entitled to the community contribution award A family with 3 children who are overcrowded because they live in a 1 bedroom flat
Band 4 For people who need housing but have a lower priority People who have not lived in Barnet for 2 years but the council has accepted a duty to house

Barnet Homes may offer applicants a council home, housing association home or a home in the private rented sector. 

If you cannot afford to live in Barnet and you do not have a strong need to stay in Barnet we will offer you a property in a more affordable location. This will not be in Barnet and in many case will not be in London.

Doing something for the community

Priority for housing is given to people who have a housing need and who also put something into the community. This could include people who need to move and are working, volunteering, training, or are foster carers or former members of the armed forces. We understand that sometimes people may be less able to do community work and we take this into account when making decisions.  





Housing Needs team

Apply for re-housing

Barnet House, 1255 High Road, London N20 0EJ

Tel: 020 8359 4797

Fax: 020 8359 4188