Disability facility grant
This is a grant available to help you pay for necessary adaptations to remove the physical barriers that prevent you living safely and independently in your own home.
Who can apply for a DFG
Disabled people can get a grant if they are owner-occupiers or tenants of privately owned and housing association properties. The parents or guardians of a disabled child under the age of 19 are also eligible.
Type of work covered
Any works must be specified by the Occupational Therapist (OT). In general they should improve freedom of movement around the house and use of the facilities for the disabled person.
This work may include:
- replacing a bath with a walk-in shower or fitting an over-bath shower
- fitting a ground floor bathroom
- fitting a stair lift or through lift
- adapting your home for wheelchair use (e.g. widening doors, adapting kitchen units installing ramps or a ceiling track hoist)
- putting in special lighting for people with a visual impairment.
Maximum mandatory grant
If adaptation work starts before application is approved
You will not normally get any grant if you start work before we approve your application.