Fostering, adopting and looked after children
We provide services to children who are looked after by, or in the care of, the local authority and to their families.
We aim to work with families so that they can care for their children at home, wherever possible. However, sometimes children are not able to live at home with their families or with other family members, so we provide care for them through foster carers or adoptive families. For very few children, who cannot cope with a family environment a children's residential home is the best option.
We also work to ensure that our children achieve their potential in terms of the five outcomes identified within the Every Child Matters document and the Children Act 2004, we want:
- our children to be physically and emotionally healthy
- to keep them safe from harm and protected from abuse
- them to do well at school and to enjoy their free time
- want to help them make choices and grow up into responsible members of society
- to help them become young adults who are financially secure.
The following services are provided through 'safeguarding' and social care:
- children in care
- leaving care
- two children’s homes
- corporate parenting
- Barnado's Advocacy Service (which provides independent advocacy)
- The Placements Team: commissions placements for children other than those provided by Barnet.
We actively support young people in care and those who have left care from the age of 16 until age 21, and up until age 25 while they are in full-time education. We support our young people whether they live in the London Borough of Barnet, other London boroughs or outside of London.
The Leaving Care Team is based at North London Business Park but meets young people at the multi-agency Young People’s Centre at 34-36 Woodhouse Road, North Finchley or at other venues depending on individual circumstances. We also provide an out-of-hours telephone advice service for young people during weekday evenings, over the weekend and during bank holidays.
The office is open from 9am to 5.15pm, Mondays to Thursdays, and 9am to 5pm on Fridays.