Blue Badge parking permits
The Blue Badge scheme is designed to help people with severe mobility problems who travel either as drivers or passengers, by allowing them to park close to their destination. Each local authority manages the issue of blue badges to its own residents.
You can get a blue badge if you:
- receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
- receive a War Pensioners' Mobility supplement
- are registered blind
- have a severe disability in both upper limbs, regularly drive a motor vehicle but cannot turn the steering wheel of a vehicle by hand even if it is fitted with a turning knob, or you regularly drive a non adapted car but cannot operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter
- have a permanent and substantial disability, which means you are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty walking.
Children under the age of two will only qualify if, due to a specific medical condition, they need to travel with bulky medical equipment or be close to a vehicle for emergency medical treatment. In such cases the badge will expire the day after the child's second birthday.
Applying for a blue badge
Applying online is the quickest and most convenient way to get a blue badge.
To find out if you are eligible and then apply for a blue badge go to the Gov.uk website.
You can also find out if you are eligible for a blue badge by phoning the Assisted Travel team.
Once you have completed the application form, documents will need to be taken to one of the council's Customer Access Points at Burnt Oak Library or Barnet House by the applicant in person. Please ensure you quote your application number so we can match your documents and your application together.
Each successful Blue Badge Applicant (those who are awarded a badge) will be subject to a £10.00 administration charge. Successful applicants will be contacted for payment.
The blue badge allows the holder to:
- park for up to three hours on a yellow line waiting restriction (single or double - the restriction is the same, but double lines apply 24-hours a day). The accompanying clock must be displayed and the correct time of arrival set
- park for unlimited periods at Pay-by-Phone parking places, unless signage specifies a maximum stay
- park at disabled badge holder parking places, either for an unlimited time, or for the time shown on nearby signs
- in addition Barnet (and some other authorities) allow parking for an unlimited time in permit parking places.
The Department for Transport's website has more information on the Blue Badge scheme including using and displaying the badge.
Badges are issued to a person, not a vehicle. Badges can be used by a driver or a passenger. Misuse of a badge is an offence.
How to use the badge and clock
The badge and clock must be displayed for the concessions to apply. Disability parking concessions do not apply simply because of the vehicle excise duty (tax disc) classification, or because the driver is a badge holder. If the badge and clock are not displayed a vehicle may be issued with a penalty charge notice for contravening a restriction.
Designated Disabled parking bays for residents
In some streets parking congestion means it is difficult for people to park close to their homes. In these circumstances, for a resident who is a London Borough of Barnet blue badge holder, we will consider an application for a "designated disabled badge holder only" parking place to be provided close to the resident's home.
The applicant must be a resident of the borough, a London Borough of Barnet blue badge holder and the vehicle owner or must be the keeper and user of a vehicle at the same address as the badge holder when the badge holder relies on that person to assist them as a passenger of their vehicle.
We will need to see written medical evidence that the badge holder has considerable difficulty in walking.
We will only consider providing a designated disabled parking place where there is proven difficulty in parking and no suitable alternative off-street parking is available.
To apply, please read and complete the application form link at the top of this page.