London Borough of Barnet

Register to vote in Barnet

Register to vote in Barnet 

The quickest and easiest way to register to vote in Barnet is by using the online service at the following website: You will need your National Insurance number to do this.

The electoral register

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The electoral register
The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections.
The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:
• detecting crime (e.g. fraud)
• calling people for jury service
• checking credit applications.

The open register
The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed.

Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

You can find more information about both registers and how they may be used at

The electoral register is updated according to a statutory timetable. The revised Full Register will be published on 1 December 2014.

Entitlement to register

Each person that meets the following criteria must register individually:

  • anyone over 18
  • anyone in your house who is 16/17 - they will be allowed to vote as soon as they have their 18th birthday.
  • anyone who normally lives in the property but is temporarily away
  • anyone who is working away from home for less than six months
  • students, can register at their home address and at term-time address as long as they do not vote twice in a Parliamentary election, European Parliamentary election or in the same local government area election
  • lodgers and anyone else who lives in your property (but not short stay visitors).

Eligible European Union countries

European Union citizens have the right to vote at local elections in the UK and European parliamentary elections.

Eligible Commonwealth countries

If you are resident in the UK and a Commonwealth citizen you are eligible to register to vote. For a comprehensive list of countries please visit

Electoral Registration Office (ERO)

North London Business Park (NLBP), Oakleigh Road South, London N11 1NP

Tel: 020 8359 5577

Fax: 0870 889 6815