Anyone can become a member of Barnet libraries
When you join the library, you can borrow books, DVDs, CDs and audiobooks. You can also:
- have free access to the internet for up to an hour a day
- borrow E-books and E-audiobooks from our digital library
- access over 300 online resources from home for free
How to join
There are two ways to join the library:
You will need to show us proof of your current address when you collect your new membership card. This can be:
- a bank statement
- a utility bill (up to three months old)
- another official document (TV licence, council tax bill, pension book)
If you do not have any of these, you can bring a letter from your employer confirming your address in Barnet.
If you are aged 16 or under, a parent or guardian will have to sign your application form for you.
If you apply online, your new card will be available to collect from a Barnet library of your choice. You'll be told when it's ready to pick up and to bring your identification with you.
Using your library card
We'll give you a PIN number so that you can use the library computers and access our online resources.
Please bring your library card with you if you want to borrow or renew items in the library. You can also renew items by phone or online. You will need your library card and PIN number to do this.
Special library cards
- Childminders: can borrow an extra 14 items, plus themed story boxes. Standard loan periods and charges apply.
- Preschool leaders: can borrow up to 30 items, plus themed story boxes. Books can be borrowed for up to 100 days and non-book items for standard loan periods. Standard charges apply.
- Foster carers can borrow an extra 20 books for up to six weeks, 2 DVDs (U, PG and 12 certificates) free of charge and themed story boxes.
Childminders, preschool leaders and foster carers must show proof of their name and address and their OFSTED or Local Authority registration documents when obtaining a special library card.
- If you have trouble reading standard sized print, you can apply for a library card which allows you to borrow audiobooks and CD's for free. You will need a letter from your doctor, as well as proof of your name and address.
Applications for special cards can only be made in the library.