What you can borrow
Barnet libraries have something for everyone including:
- fiction such as mysteries, classics and science fiction
- non-fiction books on every topic imaginable
- vocal scores and playsets
- music and spoken word CDs
- Playstation games
- e-books and e-audio books
How many and how long?
- adults and teenagers - 14 items on loan at any one time
- children - 10 items on loan at a time
- books - 3 weeks
- music or spoken word CDs - 3 weeks
- playstation games - 1 week
- DVDs - 3 or 7 days
You can return items to any Barnet library. You can also easily reserve items from the collection for a small fee.
Books can be borrowed free of charge but CDs, PlayStation games, DVDs and cassettes have a small loan charge. Charges are made for all overdue items except children's and teen books.
Renewing your loans
You can renew your loans
Use your library card number and PIN for online renewals. Items already reserved by another borrower may not be renewed.
You cannot renew DVDs, CDs and playstation games. For these items a further loan charge will apply (per loan period) when you return them to the library.
Special library cards
If you are a childminder, preschool leader or foster carer you can have a special card for books to share with the children in your care.
- Childminders can borrow an additional 14 items, plus themed story boxes. Standard loan periods and charges apply
- Preschool leaders can borrow up to 30 items, plus themed story boxes. Books are loaned for 100 days and non-book items for standard loan periods. Standard charges apply
- Foster carers can borrow an additional 20 books for up to six weeks, 2 DVDs (U, PG and 12 certificates) free of charge and themed story boxes
To get a special library card you must show
- proof of name and address
- your OFSTED or Local Authority registration documents
We also offer a special card for readers who have trouble reading standard sized print. It entitles you to free talking book loans.
To get this special card you must show
- a letter from your doctor
- proof of your name and address
Interlibrary loan obtains non-fiction books which are not held in your own public library. We cannot borrow audiovisual items, fiction or children's books. Orders are placed either online or in person at your closest library. You can order photocopies directly from the British Library.
Community language materials
Barnet libraries stocks materials in a variety of community languages. See the table below for locations.
|Chinese||Burnt Oak, Chipping Barnet, Church End, East Finchley, South Friern, Hendon, Mill Hill, North Finchley|
|Czech||Edgware, Hendon, South Friern,|
|Farsi||Burnt Oak, Church End, East Finchley, Hendon, North Finchley, Golders Green|
|French||Burnt Oak, Chipping Barnet, Church End, Edgware, Golders Green, Hendon, Mill Hill, South Friern|
|German||Chipping Barnet, Church End, Edgware, Golders Green, Hendon, Mill Hill South Friern|
|Greek||North Finchley, Osidge, South Friern|
|Gujarati||Burnt Oak, Chipping Barnet, Church End, East Barnet, East Finchley, Edgware, South Friern, Grahame Park, Hendon, Mill Hill, North Finchley, Osidge|
|Hebrew||Edgware, Golders Green, Hendon|
|Hindi||Burnt Oak, Church End, Edgware, Hendon, North Finchley|
|Italian||Chipping Barnet, Church End, East Finchley, Edgware, Hendon, Mill Hill, North Finchley, South Friern|
|Polish||Burnt Oak, Chipping Barnet, Edgware, Golders Green, Hendon, Mill Hill, South Friern|
|Spanish||Chipping Barnet, Church End, East Finchley, Edgware, Golders Green, Hendon, Mill Hill, North Finchley, South Friern|
|Tamil||Burnt Oak, Grahame Park, Hendon, North Finchley, South Friern|
|Urdu||Burnt Oak, Chipping Barnet, Edgware, Hendon|