Local Development Framework
The Local Plan is a portfolio of documents that works in conjunction with national policy and the Mayor's London Plan to form the development plan for the borough. It sets out a framework for how development and growth will be managed in the borough including where new homes and infrastructure will be located and how new jobs will be created. Following the publication of the National Planning Policy Framework in March 2012, Local Development Frameworks were rebranded as Local Plans.
The Local Plan has replaced policies in the Unitary Development Plan (2006) with the exception of 13 ‘saved’ policies for Brent Cross Cricklewood (These policies are contained within Chapter 12 of the UDP which can be accessed in the downloads box on the right hand side of the screen).
The Local Plan is primarily comprised of a suite of Development Plan Documents (DPDs) and Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs):
- The Core Strategy DPD which sets out the vision, objectives and related strategic policies
- The Site Allocations DPD which identifies future sites for development
- The Development Management Policies DPD which sets out policy framework for decision making on planning applications.
- The Mill Hill East Area Action Plan (adopted January 2009).
- The Colindale Area Action Plan DPD (adopted March 2010).
- The emerging North London Waste Plan DPD.
- A suite of Supplementary Planning Documents and Design Guidance notes which provide more detailed guidance on determining planning applications and S106 requirements.
- The Local Development Scheme for Barnet which sets out the timetable for the above documents.
- The Statement of Community Involvement which sets out the principles on how Barnet will consult with the community.
- The Authorities Monitoring Report which assesses the performance of the Local Plan and identifies significant trends affecting Barnet.
Local Development Documents (LDDs)
These are all the documents that comprise the LDF including DPDs, SPDs and the Statement of Community Involvement, Local Development Scheme and the Annual Monitoring Report.
- Local Development Scheme
- Annual Monitoring Reports / Authorities Monitoring Reports
- Statement of Community Involvement
Development Plan Documents (DPDs)
These documents outline the key development goals of the Local Plan. These consist of the Core Strategy, Development Management Policies Plan Document, Site Allocations and Area Action Plans (AAP) for Colindale and Mill Hill East.
Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs)
These documents do not form part of the statutory development plan, however they provide further detailed guidance on Local Plan policy topics such as:
- Sustainable Design and Construction
- Affordable Housing
- Residential Design Guidance
- Planning Obligations
- Contributions to Education
- Contributions to Health
SPDs are subject to public consultation and are a material consideration in planning decisions.
Town Centre Frameworks and Strategies
Town Centre Frameworks or Strategies form the basis for managing and promoting positive change in identified town centres. These documents do not form part of the statutory development plan, but they are mechanisms identified in the Local Plan for delivering objectives for town centres. Town Centre Frameworks and Strategies are subject to public consultation and are a material consideration in planning decisions.