Special educational needs
In every class at school there will be children who may, at some time in their school life, have Special Educational Needs (SEN) and who may require extra or different help.
Special Educational Needs may mean that a child has difficulties with:
- reading, writing, number work or understanding information
- expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
- making friends or relating to adults
- understanding and following rules and routines
- organising themselves
- a medical condition which impedes learning
- some kind of sensory or physical need which may affect them in school.
Many children will have Special Educational Needs at some time during their education. For most children this will be a short-term need that can be met through the expertise and resources of the school or with advice and support from outside professionals.
A few children and young people, those with severe or complex special educational needs, may need more help in school than can be provided from the school’s own, delegated resources. In these cases, Barnet Council will consider a statutory assessment to decide whether a statement of SEN is required.
Support for Special Educational Needs
We offer the following support for children with Special Educational Needs:
- help and advice finding school placements for children with statements of SEN
- home to school transport provision for children with a statement of SEN
- short breaks for children with disbilities and/or special educational needs.
The specialist placement funding decision procedure for young people with learning difficulties and/or disabilities outlines the Children’s Service part of the London Borough of Barnet Local Authority procedure on its decision making process for learners (16-25) requiring LLDD (Learners with Learning Difficulties and Disabilities) specialist placement funding both in and outside of Barnet.
In Barnet we also have a Parent Partnership service that offers free, confidential, impartial information, guidance, advice and support for parents/carers of children with special and additional educational needs.
If you require any further information regarding provision for Special Educational Needs in Barnet, please contact the us using the details on the right.