London Borough of Barnet

Information for landlords

We recognise that landlords are important. Without landlords willing to let to tenants who receive Housing Benefit we cannot do our job.

Who can claim Housing Benefit

Most people who are liable to pay rent can claim Housing Benefit but there are a few exceptions. A tenancy agreement is a business arrangement. If there is not an enforceable contract between you and your tenant or there is a non commercial arrangement we cannot pay Housing Benefit.

People who cannot claim include certain persons from abroad, most students and anyone who is living with and renting from a close relative.

If the Housing Benefit does not meet the rent charged your tenant must pay the difference themselves.  If your tenant can not afford the shortfall they can ask for a Discretionary Housing Payment

You are responsible for paying the Council Tax on houses in multiple occupation, empty properties or where the tenants are under 18. See our Council Tax pages for more information paying the council tax discounts and exemptions.

For more information please see

Renting out your property

We can help you find tenants or you can rent your property to Barnet Council or a Housing Association.

For more information please see our renting your property page in the Housing area of this site.

Other help for landlords

The Benefits service supports the Barnet Landlord forum where we work in partnership with landlords. The Forum meets twice a year.   

Housing Benefits Service

Contact Housing Benefits Service by email, phone or in person.

Burnt Oak Library, Watling Avenue, Edgware HA8 0UB

Tel: 020 8359 2111

Fax: 0871 911 6101

Housing Benefits Service postal and Type Talk

How to contact us by post and Type Talk

London Borough of Barnet, Benefits, PO Box 2015, Pershore, WR10 9BG

Tel: 18001 020 8359 2111