Parking tickets (PCN)
Paying a penalty charge notice (parking ticket)
You can pay your penalty charge notice in the following ways:
- pay online: pay quickly and easily online (please be aware in paying a parking PCN you are admitting liability for the contravention, and will no longer be able to proceed with the appeals process).
- by phone: Call our 24-hour automated payment line and follow the instructions. Our system will confirm the amount that is to be paid
- by post: send a cheque to the Parking Team address on the right-hand side
- all cheques and postal orders must be payable to “London Borough of Barnet”
- write the PCN number (“AG number” on the notice) and the vehicle registration number on the back of the cheque or postal order
- cheques are correctly signed and dated (not post-dated)
- ensure postal orders are stamped by the post office
- ensure the amount in figures is the same as the amount in words
- you are aware we are unable to accept postal credit or debit card payments
- make sure you leave enough time for us to receive your payment within the discount period if you are paying at the discount rate
- payment cannot be made by instalments. If insufficient payment is made the balance will be pursued as if the penalty was not paid
- you do not send cash in the post.
Drivers are penalised according to the seriousness of the contravention. Within the London Borough of Barnet, penalty charges are:
- £110 for higher rate penalties
- £60 for lower rate penalties and
- £130 for bus lane contraventions
There is a 50% discount for paying the charges before the expiry of 14 days beginning from the date of service of the penalty charge notice.
How to challenge a Penalty charge notice (parking ticket)
- pay your parking ticket quickly and easily online. See above for other ways to pay
- view images of your alleged contravention: Applies to both on-street and bus lanes tickets. You will need your parking ticket number and vehicle registration number. Please allow 24 hours for images to appear online
- challenge your parking ticket quickly and easily online. See below for other ways to appeal a parking ticket.
Writing to us
If you wish to challenge your penalty charge notice you must do this in writing. Please do not phone us as we cannot accept telephone representations. You can write to the Parking Team using the address on the right-hand side.
When writing to us please ensure you:
- include your penalty charge notice number, your vehicle registration number, and your full address including post code
- provide as much detail as possible to support your challenge
- include any evidence including photos that support your challenge
1. Informal challenges
If you make a challenge during the 14-day discount period we will place your PCN on hold until we respond. If your challenge is unsuccessful you can still pay at the discounted amount.
Please do not write to us again until you receive a Notice to Owner (or Enforcement Notice for Bus Lane PCNs) which is sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle. The Notice to Owner (or Enforcement Notice for Bus Lane PCNs) is sent out not less than 28 days after your PCN is served.
2. Formal appeals
When you as the registered keeper of the vehicle receive a Notice to Owner (or Enforcement Notice for Bus Lane PCNs) you can make a formal appeal to us. If your formal appeal is unsuccessful you may need to pay the charge in full.
3. Appeals to PATAS
If you make a formal appeal to us and this is unsuccessful we will include a form for you to make a further appeal to the independent Parking and Traffic Appeal Service (PATAS). The adjudicator will examine your case and their decision is legally binding on both parties. Please refer to the PATAS website for further information.