Parking tickets (PCN)
Parking tickets: how to pay or appeal
You can pay your parking ticket, also known as a penalty charge notice (PCN):
- online – by paying you’re admitting liability for the contravention and can’t appeal the penalty charge
- by phone - call the 24-hour automated payment line 0845 868 9564
- by post using a cheque or postal order
Pay by cheque or postal order
You must pay in full. We can’t accept credit or debit card payments, or cash, by post.
Please make sure that:
- cheques and postal orders are payable to "London Borough of Barnet"
- you write the PCN number ("AG number" on the notice) and the vehicle registration number on the back of the cheque or postal order
- you correctly sign and date them – they can’t be post-dated
- postal orders are stamped by the post office
- the amount in figures is the same as the amount in words
- you leave enough time for us to receive your payment within the discount period if you’re paying at the discount rate
Penalty charges are:
- £110 for higher rate penalties
- £60 for lower rate penalties, and
- £130 for bus lane contraventions
There is a 50% discount if you pay pay the charge within 14 days from the date of service of the penalty charge notice.
Appeal a penalty charge notice (parking ticket)
You can see images of your alleged offence for either on-street or bus lane tickets. You’ll need your parking ticket number and vehicle registration number. Please allow 24 hours for images to appear online
You must challenge your penalty charge notice in writing, including:
- your penalty charge notice number, your vehicle registration number, and your full address including post code
- as much detail as possible to support your challenge
- any evidence including photos that support your challenge
You can’t appeal a penalty charge notice by phone. You can write to the Parking Team using the address on the right-hand side.
If you make a challenge during the 14-day discount period we will place your PCN on hold until we respond. If your challenge is unsuccessful you can still pay at the discounted amount.
Please don’t write to us again until you receive a Notice to Owner (or Enforcement Notice for Bus Lane PCNs) which is sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle. The Notice to Owner (or Enforcement Notice for Bus Lane PCNs) is sent out not less than 28 days after your PCN is served.
When you as the registered keeper of the vehicle receive a Notice to Owner (or Enforcement Notice for Bus Lane PCNs) you can make a formal appeal to us. If your formal appeal is unsuccessful you may need to pay the charge in full.
Appeals to the Parking and Traffic Appeal Service (PATAS)
If you make a formal appeal to us and this is unsuccessful we will include a form for you to make a further appeal to the independent PATAS. The adjudicator will examine your case and their decision is legally binding on both parties. Please refer to the PATAS website for further information.