Cashless parking and parking vouchers
The London Borough of Barnet’s Parking team is committed to improving the services offered to the public and can now offer its customers a comprehensive method of payment without the need to search for change or wait at a Pay and Display machine.
In response to comments from residents and traders, the council has committed to providing 'scratchcards' (parking vouchers) for motorists to pay for parking in the borough. A minimum of 4 and maximum of 200 Permitted Parking vouchers can be purchased in a single transaction, at a cost of £2 each for one hour, £1 each for 30 minutes and, on a trial basis in the North Finchley area, 35p for 15 minutes.
To order parking vouchers/scratchcards, please email the parking team. A member of staff will contact you in order to take a credit/debit card payment and arrange delivery. Alternatively, they can be purchased in any Barnet Council library.
Cashless parking arrangements
Since 2010 motorists have been able to use their credit or debit card to pay for a session of parking by registering with PayByPhone in Barnet.
How the system works
The first time you use PayByPhone you need to register your vehicle registration number and payment card details. You can register using one of the following methods:
- online - You can register online
- text - text REG followed by your number plate to 07950 080 201. You will receive a call or text back to complete registration
- smartphone - If you have a smartphone you can enter paybyphone.co.uk into your browser to go to the PayByPhone mobile web page, or download the app if you have an iPhone, Android or Blackberry phone
- phone - Call 020 3362 2000.
Once the registration is complete you can simply enter the amount of time that you are parking and the Location Number that is printed onto the PayByPhone street and car park signs to complete payment of your parking session.
- you only need to register once, the next time you need to pay for parking you simply enter the location number, parking duration and 3 digit security number (found on the back of the payment card that you registered). The correct amount will then be charged to this card
- you can choose to receive text message reminders that inform you when your paid for time is running out. This gives you the opportunity to extend your parking without returning to your car. Please note that there is a fee of 10p per text for this.
What are the benefits?
- you only register once and you can use the service to pay for future parking sessions
- you can pay with cash in over 80 local retailers offering the PayPoint service
- there is no need to find change for parking machines
- it's quick and easy to use Simple, secure payment - from the comfort and safety of your vehicle
- you can extend your parking without returning to your car
- payByPhone App and Mobile web make paying even easier for Smartphone users; click here to download the User Guides from the PayByPhone website
Paying with cash at a PayPoint outlet
If you do not have a payment card or do not want to use one to pay for your parking, you can still pay with cash in local retailers offering the PayPoint service.
If you need to find out where your nearest PayPoint outlets are you can either search on the PayPoint website, or call 0330 400 2274 and we will tell you where the two nearest retailers are located.
When paying in cash at PayPoint you simply tell the retailer that you want to pay for parking. You will be asked to provide the location number that is printed on the PayByPhone signs, your vehicle registration number and the amount of time that you want to pay to park.
The retailer processes the payment on the PayPoint terminal, takes your cash payment and gives you a receipt. You do not need to place this receipt in your car – it is simply your proof of parking and you should keep it stored safely.
Whether paying by phone or with cash, the parking payment is loaded onto the handheld devices that local parking enforcement officers use to check that you have paid for your parking
Terms and conditions
- every person parking in a pay and display or shared use bay must pay with cash, by phone or find an alternative location.
- failure to do either of these options may result in a Penalty Charge Notice being issued.
- civil enforcement officers have the facility to check the PayByPhone system to confirm that motorists have used the service to pay for their parking.
Please see the attached document for the full list of Parking Voucher terms and conditions.
Please click here for a full list of PayByPhone terms and conditions.