Books for under fives
All our libraries have a wide collection of board books and picture books for you to borrow and share with your under fives. Babies aren't too young to start sharing a book with you! Please don't worry about accidental damage. We want you to love our books and are used to a little more wear and tear in this collection for younger readers!
- Sensory Rhyme and Play is a new hour long session for non-walking babies. Each session is based on a children’s book and we create a sensory environment for your baby to explore. Some activities can be messy! Sessions are currently running at South Friern library and Chipping Barnet Library. Please check our Facebook page and Twitter feeds for the latest news and pictures.
- Baby rhyme time is a first library activity for babies and non-walkers.
- Toddler read and rhyme combines physical activity with nursery rhymes and songs and is suitable for toddlers who have learnt to walk.
Find an event at your nearest library.
Bookstart is a national scheme bringing books and families with small children together.
- Baby Bookstart Packs are usually distributed by health visitors or nursery nurses working in baby clinics, but are also available from your local library
- Bookstart Treasure Bags are distributed by pre-school settings and nursery classes. If you live in Barnet but your child won't be attending a nursery or pre-school in the borough, please ask at your local library or contact email@example.com
- Special Bookstart Packs are available for children with additional needs. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a child who is deaf, has a visual impairment or has disabilities which impact on, or delay the development of their fine motor skills