London Borough of Barnet

Housing Benefit: how to claim

If you’re not claiming other benefits

You’ll need to make a new claim.  The process is on this page.

If you are claiming other benefits

Contact Jobcentre Plus to claim Housing Benefit with your claim for the following benefits:

  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance

Jobcentre Plus will send details of your claim for Housing Benefit to us.

Jobcentre Plus

Telephone: 0800 055 6688

Textphone: 0800 023 4888

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Find out about call charges

If you’re claiming Pension Credit

Contact the Pension Service to claim Housing Benefit with your claim for Pension Credit.

The Pension Service will send details of your claims for Housing Benefit to us.

Pension Service

Telephone: 0800 99 1234

Textphone: 0800 169 0133

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm

Saturday, 9am to 1pm

Find out about call charges

Your benefit starts as soon as when we receive your claim

Always make a claim for benefit as soon as possible, as any delay can mean you’ll lose money. Even if you don’t have all the evidence we need to support your claim, you should send the claim form back to us with a letter explaining why the evidence is missing. We’ll start to process your claim while we are waiting to receive the missing evidence.

We usually award benefit from the Monday after the day we receive your claim. Sometimes we can pay benefit from an earlier date if you have a good reason for not claiming earlier - this is called backdating

What you need to know

You might also be able to claim backdated housing benefit

You can claim in advance by up to 13 weeks (or 17 weeks if you’re aged 60).

For example, because you’re moving, you won’t usually get any money before you move.

Appeal a decision

You can ask us for a Housing Benefit decision to be reconsidered by writing to:

Housing Benefit 
London Borough Barnet
P.O. Box 2016
WR10 9BH

Housing Benefit: make a new claim

This is the process for making a claim for Housing Benefit if you aren’t claiming other benefits.

There is a different process to claim Housing Benefit if you are claiming other benefits, which is at the top of this page.

1. Book an appointment

By phone

020 8359 2111

In person

Monday - Friday 9am to 4.30pm at:

Barnet House

1255 High Road



N20 0EJ


Burnt Oak Library

Watling Avenue



2. Collect documents and evidence

You’ll have to provide the following original documents for all adults living in your house. Unfortunately, we can’t accept copies.

Proof of identity

One of the following for each member of your household:

  • Birth certificate, marriage certificate
  • Passport or National Identity Card
  • Driving licence
  • Residence permit or Immigration and Nationality Directorate Travel Document

Proof of your National Insurance number

  • One of the following for you and your partner:
  • P45 or P60
  • Letter from the Inland Revenue about tax
  • Pay slips
  • Letter from the DWP
  • National Insurance card

Proof of income

All that apply:

  • Payslips from the last five weeks if paid weekly, or last two months if paid monthly
  • Trading accounts for the last financial year if you are self-employed. Or accounts for the period you have been trading if less than one year
  • Student grant / Loan letter showing amount paid
  • Award letters for any state benefit, pension or tax credits received
  • Maintenance payments and proof of child benefit

Savings and capital

All that apply:

  • Bank, building society or Post Office passbooks / statements for the last 2 months for all accounts held
  • Share certificates or dividend statements for stocks or shares or bonds
  • Property held in the UK or abroad
  • Evidence of any other savings and capital must be declared and supporting evidence provided

Proof of rent

One of the following:

  • Tenancy agreement signed by yourself and your landlord.
  • Rent book

Proof of address

One of the following:

  • Recent (within one month of claiming) utility bill or bank statement showing your current address
  • Letter from your landlord / agent confirming the exact date you moved in

Childcare costs

Proof of childcare paid, showing the name and address of the care provider, the hourly rate, when care is provided, and the carers Ofsted registration number

3. Fill in the Housing Benefit and Council Tax application form

The form comes with notes to help you fill it in.

4. Attend your appointment

You’ll need to bring:

  • all of the documents in step 2
  • your completed claim form

The Benefits Officer will ask you about your circumstances and process your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim.

Your original documents will be copied and returned to you.

The officer will then explain the assessment to you and let you know how much Council Tax you need to pay.

The appointment will last for up to 1 hour.

You will be given a letter explaining your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support entitlement and a Council Tax bill showing your rebate and how much you’ll have to pay (if any).

Your appointment will be cancelled and rescheduled if you fail to bring in all the original documents and evidence. This will delay the processing of your claim.

Housing Benefits Service

Contact Housing Benefits Service by email, phone or in person.

Burnt Oak Library, Watling Avenue, Edgware HA8 0UB

Tel: 020 8359 2111

Fax: 0871 911 6101

Benefits Service

London Borough of Barnet, Benefits Service, PO Box 989, Northampton NN3 0DB