Barnet Care and Repair Agency
We work with older people and disabled people of all ages in the Barnet area helping them to live independently and safely in their own homes.
We can help you by:
- checking your benefit entitlement and help you to apply for any types of benefits for which you might be entitled to
- advising you what repairs and improvements are necessary to your home to make it safe
- preparing a specification relating to the work you want undertaken
- obtaining quotations from builders and oversee the works until they are completed
- providing details of contractors that we have used in the past and are happy with their performance
- helping you get in touch with other local services such as the handyperson service and occupational therapy team
- helping you to apply for grants and other financial assistance (various charities) that may be available
- referring you on to energy efficiency schemes and security schemes to make your home safer, warmer and more energy efficient.
What financial assistance is available (subject to funding being available):
- disabled facilities grants are provided to disabled persons to adapt their homes to make it more suitable for their needs. They are only available on the recommendation of an occupational therapist and subject to a means test
- decent homes grants are provided to vulnerable owner occupiers who are unable to pay for repairs and improvements to their homes themselves. The grant is subject to a means test and the property being deemed ‘non decent’
- minor works grants are provided for essential repairs and security measures. The grant is subject to a means test.
Home fire safety
Care and Repair work closely with the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority (LFEPA). The LFEPA will visit you at home to offer advice on how to make your home safe and, where appropriate, fit a smoke alarm for free.
The LFEPA target people and places where we know there is a higher risk of fire. This includes high-risk individuals such as older people, especially those living alone, those with mobility, vision and hearing impairment, mental health services users and those liable to intoxication through alcohol/drug use. A combination of these factors will significantly increase the risk from fire.
Paying for our services
Many of our services are provided free of charge. However, we are unable to provide all of our services this way and for some works a fee based on the cost of works will be charged. The amount to be charged will be fully discussed with you before you are committed in any way and in many cases the cost of the fees can be covered by the grant being applied for.
Keep Warm, Stay Well
Keeping warm in the colder months is important and can help prevent illnesses. Those who already experience a long term health condition, such as severe asthma or a chest or heart complaint, face the additional risk of having a stroke or heart attack in cold conditions. More advice and what assistance is available.
Barnet Council is committed to working in partnership with other organisations to support adults at risk to maintain their independence and to be able to live a life that is free from abuse and neglect. More information.
What if I am not happy with the service?
If you have a complaint about the administration of your grant, you should contact the Private Sector Housing Managers on 020 8359 7995 (Lisa Morrow - Mondays and Tuesdays or Belinda Livesey - Thursdays and Fridays).