24/7 reference library
The 24/7 online reference library is your starting point to finding support for homework or study. It is your gateway to reliable information from some of the world's leading publications. You can use the resources listed on this page free of charge from home using your Barnet library card. You will also need a PIN to access some of our digital services.
Every library also has a range of printed reference resources. Hendon library has the largest collection of reference materials.
Resources in the 24/7 reference library
- Oxford Art Online: All aspects of world art from pre-history to the present.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: Detailed information about individuals and groups of people who have shaped the history of the British Isles over 2,500 years.
- Who's Who and Who Was Who: Search the latest edition of Who's Who and more than 100,000 records of people from Who Was Who (people who have died).
- Oxford Dictionaries Online: The modern English Dictionary and Thesaurus plus sections on writing skills and crosswords.
- Oxford English Dictionary: The most respected dictionary of the English language.
- Britannica Junior: Introductory level to Britannica with content aimed at six - 10 year olds.
- Britannica Student: content graded to a level suitable for students aged 10 - 14 years old.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica: Access to the full Encyclopaedia Britannica and Britannica Book of the Year, including images.
- Encyclopedia Judaica: The authoritative resource covering all subjects related to Judaism and Jewish people and culture.
- Oxford Reference Online: More than 170 OUP reference books in one place. Quick answers on a vast range of subjects.
- Ancestry: This popular family history website offers extensive searchable UK family history records. Access to this resource is only available from a Barnet library.
- CANS (Community Advice Notes): A detailed summary of many areas of UK legislation. The first place to look for the answer to a law-related enquiry.
- Life in Great Britain: Prepare and check readiness for the British Citizenship test.
- Theory Test Pro: Prepare for your driving theory test with officially endorsed test questions and hazard perception videos.
- Transparent Language: Teach yourself a foreign language for free at home. There are 80 languages to choose from.
- Times Digital Archive: Search the full text of the Times newspaper from 1785 to 1985
- UK Newsstand: National and regional news, combining the most popular British newspaper titles in one database
You can also book a computer in the library to use any of these resources or use one of the quick reference computers in the larger libraries. The online resources are all listed on the browser favourites list on the public computers in libraries to help you find what you need.