Local Authority Trading Company (LATC)
Barnet Council set up a Local Authority Trading Company (LATC) in 2012, known as The Barnet Group. The council has transferred its Learning Disability Services, Physical and Sensory Impairment Disability Services and Housing Needs and Resources Service to The Barnet Group.
How does it work?
The Barnet Group is wholly owned by Barnet Council and acts as a parent company to:
- Barnet Homes - this manages the borough's 15,000 council homes on behalf of Barnet Council. It also works to prevent homelessness and allocates homes to social housing applicants
- Your Choice Barnet - an adult social care company that provides services to adults with learning and physical disabilities.
Barnet Council retains a commissioning role in these services and two councillors sit on the group board. It is also the sole shareholder of The Barnet Group.
By creating a company to deliver these services the council is able to offer greater flexibility to adult social care customers and housing needs service customers.
- Your Choice Barnet is projected to start delivering a surplus to the council from 2013/14. The surplus is projected to reach £263,000 by 2014/15 and £493,000 by 2015/16
- the transfer of the Housing Needs and Resources Service to Barnet Homes is projected to provide initial baseline savings of £400,000 from 2012/13 rising to approx £610,000 by 2016/17.
- service users and their carers have greater choice, independence and control over the services they buy to meet their individual needs through personal budgets and are supported and encouraged to do this
- an easier end-to-end service has been created for people in housing need, which has simplified the system for them
- service users are being involved in designing and delivering services with a service user and a carer role on the board of Your Choice Barnet
- greater interaction between social care and housing services
- improving the quality of services.
How decisions were made
- in November 2010, Cabinet reviewed and approved the decision to proceed with the development of a full business case and business plan to implement a Local Authority Trading Company(LATC). This would result in the transfer of Learning Disability Services, Physical and Sensory Impairment Disability Services and Mental Health in-house provider services to the LATC
- in May 2011, Cabinet Resources Committee reviewed and approved the Business Case for the Adults in-house Service Review project, allowing the set up of a local authority trading company structure, incorporating Barnet Homes. CRC gave approval for the business case in May 2011
- in January 2012, Cabinet Resources Committee reviewed and approved the current business plan for the Adults in-house Service Review project and confirmed the transfer of Learning Disability and Physical Sensory Impairment Adult Social Care service provision to the LATC
- the LATC launched on 1 February 2012.