Customer and Support Group (CSG)
After running a competitive procurement process, Barnet Council awarded Capita the contract to run the council’s back office services, the Customer and Support Group (CSG). The contract with Capita was signed on 5 August 2013 and the service commenced in September 2013.
What is the NSCSO Project?
The New Support Customer Services Organisation (NSCSO) project was part of the One Barnet programme, the services are now known as the Customer and Support Group (CSG).
The project aim was to reduce back office costs and improve customer service to residents.
The CSG will improve the service we provide to customers by:
- reducing costs and increasing efficiency
- providing a more flexible service in the future adopting best practice from other organisations.
Significant savings need to be made within all council services, including customer and support services, as government grants to local authorities continue to fall. In 2011, the council decided to look for an external provider to run the CSG.
The following service areas are provided by the CSG:
- Customer Services
- Human Resources and Payroll
- IT Infrastructure and Support
- Revenues and Benefits
- Commercial Services
A copy of the CSG contract has been published online.
The NSCSO project was expected to deliver a minimum saving of 11% on the cost to the council over the ten years, equivalent to £40m. The objective has been significantly exceeded, the final benefits being as
• A guaranteed core service price reduction of 18.1% during the life of the contract, equivalent to £70m;
• A guaranteed operational net cost reduction by year 10 of 45%; and
• A guaranteed net financial benefit of £125.4m including procurement savings and income collection guarantees.
- a single point of contact for all customer enquiries
- a better and more consistent quality of customer service within the council
- more issues will be resolved on first contact and we will be able to respond more quickly to those we can’t answer immediately
- you will be able to provide information to the council once, which will then be used to provide a range of services
- you will be able to access council services in a number of new ways, making the best use of new technology.
How decisions were made
- an Options Appraisal, which recommended a business case to be produced for the procurement of a private sector partner(s) to deliver services, was reviewed and approved by the Cabinet Resources Committee in March 2011.
- the Business Case was reviewed and approved by Cabinet in June 2011 - Cabinet approval of business case.
- the Business Case was updated in February 2012.
- in December 2012 Cabinet confirmed Capita as the preferred bidder to run CSG from 2013. Full business case and recommendation. Read the press release.
- on 17th March 2014 Contract Monitoring Overview and Scrutiny Committee were presented with the New Support and Customer Services Organisation (NSCSO) and Development and Regulatory Services’ (DRS) projects formal close down reports.