Barnet currently recycles around 40% of all waste. The council has made a target of reaching 50% recycling by 2016
Five reasons to recycle
- Recycling saves money - it costs twice as much to dispose of rubbish from your black bin than it does to recycle
- Retaining Services - recycling more means that we can save money and protect local services in Barnet
- Recycling conserves natural resources such as trees, water and minerals – preserving the environment for future generations
- Reduces the amount of waste sent for disposal
- By recycling materials we reduce the need to source new materials, and save energy.
Did you know?
- 70% of household waste can be recycled
- In the UK we throw away 7 million tonnes of food and drink from our homes, costing us £12.5bn a year.
- Recycling one aluminium can saves enough energy to run a TV for 3 hours.
- On average every person in the UK throws away their own body weight in waste every seven weeks. There is so much more that can be recycled.