Scrap metal registration
Any person proposing to carry on business as a scrap metal dealer in the area of a local authority may apply to that local authority to be registered as a scrap metal dealer.
Who should apply
Any person who carries on a business as a scrap metal dealer needs to be registered with the local authority for that area if:
- a place in that area is occupied by him as a scrap metal store, or
- no place is occupied by him as a scrap metal store, whether in that area or elsewhere, but he has his usual place of residence in that area, or
- no place is occupied by him as a scrap metal store, whether in that area or elsewhere, but a place in that area is occupied by him wholly or partly for the purposes of that business.
How to apply
Applicants must provide the following:
- their full name
- the address of the dealer, or in the case of a company, their registered or principal office
- the address of each place occupied as a scrap metal store, if any
- if the business is carried on without a scrap metal store
- if the business is carried on without a scrap metal store but the applicant occupies a place for the purposes of business, and the address of such a place
Please apply using the attached application form. There is no fee for a registration.
The registation should be renewed every three years.
You must notify the local authority of any changes to your registration details or if you have ceased to be a scrap metal dealer.