Hendon and Golders Green
Hendon NW4, Church End
The local archaeological group HADAS found a Roman and a Saxon settlement near to St Mary's church. However, the Saxon settlement may not have continued on from the Roman one and there may have a period when Hendon was unoccupied.
St Mary's Hendon
The oldest building in the area is the Church of St Mary's Hendon. The Domesday Survey says that Hendon had a priest, and another document mentions a church building in 1157. The oldest part of the present church is 13th century.
- the tower of the church was built around 1450 and is 50-foot high
- the weathercock at the top, added in the 18th century, in the form of the "Lamb and Flag", is the badge of St John
- eastern extensions carried out between 1913 - 15 have greatly expanded the church
- some of the people buried at St Mary's include Herbert Chapman, Arsenal manager 1925 to 1934, Sir Stamford Raffles, founder of Singapore, and Coventry Patmore's wife Emily, the model for the poem The Angel in the House (1854).
The Greyhound was originally called the church house because vestry meetings were held here until 1878. The first building burned down in 1676, and the second building was replaced with the building seen today in 1898.
From 1866, Hendon Volunteer Fire Brigade kept a manual fire engine in a building opposite the church. Between 1870 and 1890 a number of streets were laid out between the Church and Church Road. Heading and Fuller Street were named after the two daughters of a Holborn draper called Fuller.
The area was redeveloped in the early 1970s, and all that remains is the small war memorial.
Church Farm, is a mid-17th century building and is the second oldest building in Hendon. It was converted into Church Farmhouse Museum in 1955. The area of Sunningfields was laid out by 1871.
Pages in Hendon and Golders Green
- You are here: Hendon NW4, Church End
- The Burroughs
- Parson Street (Hendon NW4)
- Brent Street (Hendon NW4)
- Brent Green (Hendon NW4)
- Hendon Central (Hendon NW4)
- Brent Cross (Hendon NW4)
- Childs Hill (Hendon NW2)
- Cricklewood (Hendon NW2)
- Clitterhouse and Claremont Road (Hendon NW2)
- Golders Green
- Temple Fortune (Hendon NW11)
- Hampstead Garden Suburb
- Golders Hill (Hendon NW11)
- Hyde (Hendon NW9)
- Colindale (Hendon NW9)
- Grahame Park (Hendon NW9)
- West Hendon (Hendon NW9)
- Hendon Police College
- Hendon Aerodrome
- Hendon Brent Reservoir
- Hendon Coat of Arms
- Hendon in Domesday
- Hendon Population
- Hendon Online Resources