Finchley, Friern Barnet and Totteridge
New Southgate (Finchley N11)
New Southgate often includes Brunswick Park and parts of Colney Hatch. Up until the 1850s the area was called Betstile. The name probably means Betta's Path. By 1822 there were a handful of houses. In 1851 the Great Northern Railway opened a railway station called Colney Hatch.
Colney Hatch, with its association with the lunatic asylum, was unattractive to the new residents and "New Southgate" (mimicking New Barnet) further north, was chosen. The railway station's name changed in 1876 to include New Southgate, and eventually the name Colney Hatch was dropped altogether.
From the 1850s the area developed as a town centre. The Avenue district, a small triangle between Friern Barnet Lane, and Oakleigh Road, developed after 1854 to house workers employed by the Colney Hatch Asylum. It was very overcrowded, and had the reputation as the roughest district in Middlesex.
South of Friern Barnet Lane was the Colney Hatch Estate. Originally a middle-class area, its close proximity to the Asylum affected the value of the houses. Various institutions were established such as public houses, a gas company, a water company, schools, chapels and churches, a police station, and by the 1920s a cinema.
Expansion of New Southgate was envisaged from very early on. The town was divided between East Barnet, Friern Barnet and Southgate, and the county authorities of Hertfordshire and Middlesex. This made planning difficult. The Anglican church of St Paul's (1873) was built to seat 700 but was a little over half full in 1903.
Trams ran to Wood Green in 1907 and North Finchley by 1909 helping the population to rise to 7000 in 1921. Further transport links, and the building of the North Circular Road (1929), and the opening of a new tube station, Arnos Grove, in 1932, led to further suburban development east of New Southgate, and the area became less distinct.
During World War Two there was extensive bomb damage. In 1956 Southgate Council planned to re-develop, starting with construction of the tower blocks in Highview Gardens (1960). In 1965, the new London Boroughs of Barnet and Enfield came into existence and the area was split between the two. The name survives due to the mainline railway, but as a centre it has never succeeded in the way that other Victorian new towns, like New Barnet, did.
Famous people of the area include James Selby (d.1888), the coachman, who was brought up at the Railway Hotel (Turrets public house) in the 1860s. He achieved the longest distance ever driven by one coachman, as well as the fastest time a team of horses could be changed for another (47 seconds). Jerome K Jerome spent part of his childhood in Springfield Road.
Pages in Finchley, Friern Barnet and Totteridge
- Finchley, Friern Barnet and Totteridge
- Fortis Green (Finchley N2)
- High Road (Finchley N2)
- East End Road (Finchley N2)
- Hog Market and Church Lane (Finchley N2)
- Red Lion Hill and Strawberry Vale (finchley N2)
- Hendon Lane (Finchley N3)
- Regents Park and Ballards Lane (Finchley N3)
- Finchley Manor and Squires Lane (Finchley N3)
- Long Lane (Finchley N3)
- Nether Street and West Finchley (Finchley N3)
- Tally Ho Corner and the High Road (Finchley N12)
- Moss Hall and Lodge Lane (Finchley N12)
- Woodhouse and the Rough Lots (Finchley N12)
- Fallow Corner (Finchley N12)
- Woodside Park and Woodside (Finchley N12)
- Whetstone (Finchley N20)
- Oakleigh Road (Finchley N20)
- Friern Barnet (Finchley N20)
- Totteridge (Finchley N20)
- You are here: New Southgate (Finchley N11)
- Brunswick Park and Osidge (Finchley N11)
- Colney Hatch (Finchley N10)
- South Friern (Finchley N10)
- Finchley Colney Hatch Asylum
- Finchley Common
- Finchley La Delivrance and other statues
- Finchley and Friern Barnet Coats of Arms