Finchley, Friern Barnet and Totteridge
East End Road (Finchley N2)
East End Road was originally the route from the hamlet of Church End Finchley to the old Great North Road when it ran through Muswell Hill. The road has had various names such as Manor Lane (19th century) and Finchley Road (18th century). In the medieval period a triangle of waste, called Hunts Green (1437), which stretched from Stanley Road to the Junction of Church Lane, was the location of the first hamlet of East End Finchley (1365).
From 1683 until 1700 Richard Cromwell (son of Oliver Cromwell) lodged in the house of Thomas Pengelly, thought to be located where Abbots Gardens are today. The Five Bells (1751) had the reputation as a centre of boxing and a number of champions trained there including the heavy and mediumweight champion Jem Mace.
Elmshurst House was home of the Salvin family from 1833 to 1857. They and their friends, including Lord Mansfield of Kenwood, raised the money to build Holy Trinity Church (1847) and school. During the war a V2 Rocket landed in Abbots Gardens. Elmshurst House was demolished in 1939, becoming Elmhurst Crescent and Pulham Avenue after the war.
"Lord" George Sanger, the circus proprietor, used Park Farm on East End Road as winter quarters for his collection of exotic animals in the 1900s. Sanger was the man who invented the three ring circus.
Between Brackenbury Road and Hamilton Road. Walter Dickinson founded Finchley's first manufactory in 1909, the Hill View Works, making cars (now a carpet warehouse). The Order of the Good Shepherd moved to East End house in 1864, and in 1873 became a "reformatory" for former female prisoners. Much of the convent was burned down in 1972. Part of the grounds was redeveloped into Bishop Douglas School (1963), and Thomas More Estate (1980). There is a Victorian letterbox on the wall of the convent. Across the road is East Finchley Cemetery, opened by the St Marylebone Burial Board in 1855.
Briar Close may have originally been called Philipe Lane, but it was generally known as Green Lane. Between 1808 and 1835 the lane was the location of a house rented as Finchley's workhouse and was called Workhouse Lane as a consequence. A bridge over the railway, built in the 1860s, was removed in the 1960s and the northern portion of the road is now much overgrown and disused.
Pages in Finchley, Friern Barnet and Totteridge
- Finchley, Friern Barnet and Totteridge
- Fortis Green (Finchley N2)
- High Road (Finchley N2)
- You are here: East End Road (Finchley N2)
- Hog Market and Church Lane (Finchley N2)
- Red Lion Hill and Strawberry Vale (finchley N2)
- Hendon Lane (Finchley N3)
- Regents Park and Ballards Lane (Finchley N3)
- Finchley Manor and Squires Lane (Finchley N3)
- Long Lane (Finchley N3)
- Nether Street and West Finchley (Finchley N3)
- Tally Ho Corner and the High Road (Finchley N12)
- Moss Hall and Lodge Lane (Finchley N12)
- Woodhouse and the Rough Lots (Finchley N12)
- Fallow Corner (Finchley N12)
- Woodside Park and Woodside (Finchley N12)
- Whetstone (Finchley N20)
- Oakleigh Road (Finchley N20)
- Friern Barnet (Finchley N20)
- Totteridge (Finchley N20)
- New Southgate (Finchley N11)
- Brunswick Park and Osidge (Finchley N11)
- Colney Hatch (Finchley N10)
- South Friern (Finchley N10)
- Finchley Colney Hatch Asylum
- Finchley Common
- Finchley La Delivrance and other statues
- Finchley and Friern Barnet Coats of Arms