Update/ Judicial Review Outcome
In light of the recent judicial review into the cost of resident permits you should apply for a refund for previous resident parking purchases here
We issue resident parking permits that allow the permit holder to park within Controlled Parking Zones in a Resident Permit Holders Only or Permit Holder Only parking place during controlled hours.
You can apply for a new and renew a resident parking permit in the following ways:
- Online application: Apply for a new resident permit quickly and easily online. This facility allows you to attach your proof of residency and vehicle ownership online.
- Online renewal: Click this if you wish to renew your resident parking permit quickly and easily online. To use this facility you will need to have an applicant identifier and permit reference number.
- Automated payment line (ATP): To use this facility you will need to have an applicant identifier and permit reference number.
- By post: Please print, complete and return the attached form with proof of residency and vehicle ownership. Please send your completed form to the Parking team.
Resident parking permits cost
Resident permit 1st vehicle: £40
Resident permit 2nd vehicle: £70
Resident permit 3rd vehicle: £70
Documents to support your permit application
If applying online please attach the documents to support your permit application during the application process. There is a 20mb limit per file. If applying by post please send copies of documents and not originals. We do not have a public counter. Further details on documents and proofs required.
Printing permits at home
When renewing your permit online, you will be given the opportunity to either print the permit at home or have the permit printed by our office and sent to you in the post.
The home-printed version of a permit looks different to a permit we send you, however it is still valid on-street and civil enforcement officers are aware of the variation.
Changing permit details
We offer a number of online services to change permit details including:
- Request change of permit address (Please note that you would be required to return your permit and supply address documents to confirm your request)
- Change permit contact details
If you no longer require your parking permit you may apply for a refund. The refund amount is calculated on how many full calendar months remain on the permit. If for example your permit cost £40 for an annual residents permit and you have three full calendar months remaining, the refund would be calculated as follows (£40 / 12) x 3 = £9.99.
Conditions of use
- The permit only allows you to park in a "Resident Permit Holders Only" or "Permit Holders Only" parking place during the controlled hours, making sure that the same zone identifier letters displayed on the permit appear on the sign.
- The permit does not allow you to park in a "Business Permit Holders Only" parking place, Pay and Display bays, yellow lines, or any other parking restriction.
- The permit may only be used in a shared use parking place where the signs indicate the zone identifier wording in condition 1.
- The issue of a resident permit does not guarantee the availability of a parking space nor does in render the council subject to any liability in respect of loss or damage to the vehicle in a parking place or the contents or fittings of the vehicle.
- The permit must be displayed on the front windscreen of the vehicle so that the details are clearly visible from outside the vehicle.
- Parking places may be suspended by any person duly authorised by the council or police. A resident permit is not valid in a parking place where signs indicate it is suspended.
- It is prohibited to use a vehicle in a parking place in connection with the sale or offering or exposing for sale of goods.
- The maximum number of resident permits which shall be issued to a household within a street or part of a street at any one time shall be three.
- If a permit is lost or destroyed the council may replace the permit once an administration charge has been paid. The replacement permit will display the same expiry date as the previous permit.
- If the permit is no longer required the council may arrange a refund for the remaining number of months, once the original permit is returned to our office. The refund is calculated from the date the permit is received and will be for any full unused months. It is recommended that you send the original permit by recorded delivery post as without this permit we cannot arrange a refund.
- The council may revoke a permit if it believed that the permit is being misused. Where a vehicle has three or more outstanding penalty charge notices issued that have progressed to 'charge certificate' stage (by this stage there is no longer a right of appeal) then a new or renewed permit will not be issued for that vehicle until the outstanding penalty has been paid or the matter otherwise resolved.
- Failure to comply with these conditions may result in a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) being issued to your vehicle.
- The vehicle must be either a passenger vehicle constructed or adapted to carry not more than 12 passengers, a motor caravan not exceeding 3.5 tonnes or a car derived van (a car derived van is a goods vehicle which is constructed or adapted as a derivative of a passenger vehicle and which has a maximum laden weight not exceeding 2 tonnes [Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 - Schedule 6, part IV])
- The vehicle/s specified in this application must not be a goods carrying vehicle constructed or adapted in such a manner that it exceeds 2.3m in height.