These are valid for three months and are issued to residents who do not meet the necessary criteria for an annual permit usually because they are new to the borough or have a foreign registered vehicle or a vehicle registered at another address. They allow the holder to park in either a Resident Permit Holders Only or Permit Holders Only parking space during the controlled hours of the CPZ.
Residents requiring a permit for longer than a three-month period are advised to purchase a Resident parking permit.
You can apply for a temporary parking permit in the following ways:
- Online Application: Apply for a new temporary permit quickly and easily online. This facility allows you to attach your proof of residency and vehicle ownership online.
- By post: Please print, complete and return the attached form with proof of residency and vehicle ownership. Please send your completed form to us to the address on in the right-hand column.
Costs, documents and eligibility
Temporary permit cost
Temporary permit for three months: £252
Documents to support your permit application
If applying online please attach the documents to support your permit application during the application process. There is a 20mb limit per file. If applying by post please send copies of documents and not originals. We do not have a public counter. Further details on documents and proofs required.
The person applying for the temporary permit MUST own the vehicle, however the vehicle does not need to be registered with the CPZ . When you apply for a parking permit you agree to our terms and conditions. View our full terms and conditions.
Printing permits at home
When renewing your permit online, you will be given the opportunity to either print the permit at home or have the permit printed by our office and sent to you in the post.
The home-printed version of a permit looks different to a permit we send you, however it is still valid on-street and civil enforcement officers are aware of the variation.
Changing permit details
We offer a number of online services to change permit details including:
If you no longer require your parking permit you may apply for a refund. The refund amount is calculated on how many full calendar months remain on the permit. If for example your permit cost £100 for an annual residents permit and you have three full calendar months remaining, the refund would be calculated as follows (£100 / 12) x 3 = £25.
Conditions of use
- The permit only allows you to park in a "Resident Permit Holders Only" or "Permit Holders Only" parking place during the controlled hours, making sure that the same zone identifier letters displayed on the permit appear on the sign.
- The permit does not allow you to park in a "Business Permit Holders Only" parking place, Pay and Display bays, yellow lines, or any other parking restriction.
- The permit may only be used in a shared use parking place where the signs indicate the zone identifier wording in condition 1.
- The issue of a resident permit does not guarantee the availability of a parking space nor does in render the council subject to any liability in respect of loss or damage to the vehicle in a parking place or the contents or fittings of the vehicle.
- The permit must be displayed on the front windscreen of the vehicle so that the details are clearly visible from outside the vehicle.
- Parking places may be suspended by any person duly authorised by the council or police. A resident permit is not valid in a parking place where signs indicate it is suspended.
- It is prohibited to use a vehicle in a parking place in connection with the sale or offering or exposing for sale of goods.
- The maximum number of resident permits which shall be issued to a household within a street or part of a street at any one time shall be three.
- If a permit is lost or destroyed the council may replace the permit once an administration charge has been paid. The replacement permit will display the same expiry date as the previous permit.
- If the permit is no longer required the council may arrange a refund for the remaining number of months, once the original permit is returned to our office. The refund is calculated from the date the permit is received and will be for any full unused months. It is recommended that you send the original permit by recorded delivery post as without this permit we cannot arrange a refund.
- The council may revoke a permit if it believed that the permit is being misused. Where a vehicle has three or more outstanding penalty charge notices issued that have progressed to 'charge certificate' stage (by this stage there is no longer a right of appeal) then a new or renewed permit will not be issued for that vehicle until the outstanding penalty has been paid or the matter otherwise resolved.
- Failure to comply with these conditions may result in a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) being issued to your vehicle.
- The vehicle must be either a passenger vehicle constructed or adapted to carry not more than 12 passengers, a motor caravan not exceeding 3.5 tonnes or a car derived van (a car derived van is a goods vehicle which is constructed or adapted as a derivative of a passenger vehicle and which has a maximum laden weight not exceeding 2 tonnes [Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 - Schedule 6, part IV])
- The vehicle/s specified in this application must not be a goods carrying vehicle constructed or adapted in such a manner that it exceeds 2.3m in height.