Business permits are issued at a cost. They are available to businesses operating from premises within a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ). A business permit allows the holder to park in a Business Permit holder Only or Permit Holder Only parking space during the controlled hours. A maximum of three permits can be purchased by one business.
- any registration - These permits are available on an annual basis only
- registration specific – These permits are available on a weekly, monthly and annual basis.
You can apply for a new and renew your business permit in the following ways:
- Online application: You can apply for a new business permit quickly and easily online. This facility allows you to attach your proof of vehicle ownership and a sheet of business headed paper briefly detailing the nature of your business online
- Online renewal: Renew your business permit quickly and easily online. To use this facility you will need to have an applicant identifier and permit reference number
- Automated payment line (ATP): see right-hand column
- by post: Please print, complete and return the Business permit application form to the Parking team with proof of vehicle ownership and a sheet of business headed paper briefly detailing the nature of your business.
Costs, documents and terms and conditions
Parking permits - terms and conditions
Business permit renewals require proof to be submitted every three years.
Renewal of business permits must take place either shortly before, or on the date the existing permit expires. When you apply for a parking permit you agree to our terms and conditions.
Business permit cost
- business permit (specific registration) – Weekly: £26
- business permit (specific registration) – Monthly: £73.50
- business permit (specific registration) – Annual: £525
- business permit (any registration) – Annual: £840
Documents to support your permit application
If applying online please attach the documents to support your permit application during the application process. There is a 20mb limit per file. If applying by post please send copies of documents and not originals. We do not have a public counter. Please see the attached for for further details on documents and proofs required.
Printing permits at home
When renewing your permit online, you will be given the opportunity to either print the permit at home or have the permit printed by our office and sent to you in the post.
The home-printed version of a permit looks different to a permit we send you, however it is still valid on-street and civil enforcement officers are aware of the variation.
Changing permit details
We offer a number of online services to change permit details including:
If you no longer require your parking permit you may apply for a refund. The refund amount is calculated on how many full calendar months remain on the permit. If for example your permit cost £100 for an annual residents permit and you have three full calendar months remaining, the refund would be calculated as follows (£100 / 12) x 3 = £25.
Terms and conditions
- The permit only allows you to park in a "Business Permit Holders Only" or "Permit Holders Only" parking place during the controlled hours, making sure that the same zone identifier letters displayed on the permit appear on the sign.
- The permit does not allow you to park in a "Resident Permit Holders Only" parking place, Pay and Display bays, yellow lines or any other parking restriction.
- The permit may only be used in a shared use parking place where the signs indicate the zone identifier wording in condition 1.
- The issue of a business permit does not guarantee the availability of a parking space nor does it render the council subject to any liability in respect of loss or damage to the vehicle in a parking place or the contents or fittings of the vehicle.
- The permit must be displayed on the front windscreen of the vehicle so that the details are clearly visible from outside the vehicle.
- Parking places may be suspended by any person duly authorised by the council or police. A business permit is not valid in a parking place where signs indicate it is suspended.
- It is prohibited to use a vehicle in a parking place in connection with the sale or offering or exposing for sale of goods.
- The maximum number of annual business permits which shall be issued to a business address within a street or part of a street at any one time shall be three.
- If an annual permit is lost or destroyed the council may replace the permit once an administration charge has been paid. The replacement permit will display the same expiry date as the previous permit.
- If an annual permit is no longer required, the council may arrange a refund for the remaining number of full calendar months once the original permit is returned to our office. The refund will be calculated from the date the permit is received and will be for any full unused months. It is recommended that you send the original permit by recorded delivery post as without this permit we cannot arrange a refund.
- The council may revoke a permit if it is believed that the permit is being misused. Where a vehicle has three or more outstanding penalty charge notices issued that have progressed to 'charge certificate' stage (by this stage there is no longer a right of appeal) then a new or renewed permit will not be issued for that vehicle until the outstanding penalty has been paid or the matter otherwise resolved.
- Failure to comply with these conditions may result in a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) being issued to your vehicle.
- A goods vehicle with an overall height greater than 2.3 metres may not make use of a parking place during controlled hours.