These permits are available on a monthly and annual basis. They are available to builders carrying out works from premises within a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ). These permits allow the holder to park in a Resident Permit Holders Only or Permit Holder Only parking place during controlled hours.
You can apply for a new and renew your building permit in the following ways:
- Online application: You can apply for a new building permit quickly and easily online. This facility allows you to attach your proof demonstrating you are carrying out work at the property, e.g. written quotation on letter headed paper
- Online renewal: Renew your building permit quickly and easily online. To use this facility you will need to have an applicant identifier and permit reference number
- Automated payment line: see contact details on the right. To use this facility you will need to have an applicant identifier and permit reference number
- By post: please print, complete and return the builders permit application form with your proof demonstrating you are carrying out work at the property, e.g. written quotation on letter headed paper
Please send your completed form to the Parking team at the address on the right-hand side of this page.
Costs, documents and terms and conditions
Parking permits - terms and conditions
Building permit renewals require proof to be submitted every three years. They must be renewed either shortly before, or on the date the existing permit expires. Failure to follow this procedure could result in a penalty charge notice (PCN).
Builders permit cost
- monthly: £38
- any registration monthly: £76
- any registration: £620
- specific registration: £310
Please send copies of documents, not originals. Note we do not have a public counter. Further details on documents and proofs required.
Printing permits at home
When renewing your permit online, you will be given the opportunity to either print the permit at home or have the permit printed by our office and sent to you in the post.
The home-printed version of a permit looks different to a permit we send you, however it is still valid on-street and civil enforcement officers are aware of the variation.
Changing permit details
We offer a number of online services to change permit details including:
- change permit vehicle
- request change of permit address
- change permit contact details.
If you no longer require your parking permit you may apply for a refund. The refund amount is calculated on how many full calendar months remain on the permit. If for example your permit cost £100 for an annual resident's permit and you have three full calendar months remaining, the refund would be calculated: (£100 / 12) x 3 = £25.
Terms and conditions
- The permit only allows you to park in a “Resident Permit Holders Only” or “Permit Holders Only” parking place during the controlled hours, making sure that the same zone identifier letters displayed on the permit appear on the sign.
- The permit does not allow you to park in “Business Permit Holders Only” parking places, Pay and Display bays, yellow lines or any other parking restriction.
- The permit may only be used in a shared use parking place where the signs indicate the zone identifier wording in condition.
- The issue of a builder's permit does not guarantee the availability of a parking space nor does in render the council subject to any liability in respect of loss or damage to the vehicle in a parking place or the contents or fittings of the vehicle.
- The permit can only be used while carrying out building works in the zone for which the permit is valid. Evidence of no works being carried out may result in a Penalty Charge Notice being issued and the permit being withdrawn.
- The permit must be displayed on the front windscreen of the vehicle so that the details are clearly visible from outside the vehicle.
- Parking places may be suspended by any person duly authorised by the council or police. A builder’s permit is not valid in a parking place where signs indicate it is suspended.
- It is prohibited to use a vehicle in a parking place in connection with the sale or offering or exposing for sale of goods.
- The maximum number of annual builder’s permits issued to a business shall be three.
- If an annual permit is lost or destroyed the council may replace the permit once an administration charge has been paid. The replacement permit will display the same expiry date as the previous permit.
- If an annual permit is no longer required the council may arrange a refund for the remaining number of full calendar months, once the original permit is returned to our office. The refund is calculated from the date the permit is received and will be for any full unused months. It is recommended that you send the original permit by recorded delivery post as without this permit we cannot arrange a refund.
- The council may revoke a permit if it is believed that the permit is being misused. Where a vehicle has three or more outstanding penalty charge notices issued that have progressed to ‘charge certificate’ stage (by this stage there is no longer a right of appeal) then a new or renewed permit will not be issued for that vehicle until the outstanding penalty has been paid or the matter otherwise resolved.
- Failure to comply with these conditions may result in a Penalty Charge Notice being issued to your vehicle.
- A goods vehicle with an overall height greater than 2.3 metres may not make use of a parking place during controlled hours.