Doctor permits are only issued once permission has been granted to install a Doctors bay. These permits are only valid for the bay indicated on the permit. Additional permits for the bay are available to Doctors working within a joint practice.
You can apply for a new and renew your doctor permit in the following ways:
- Online application: You can apply for a new doctors permit quickly and easily online. This facility allows you to attach your proof of vehicle ownership and practice letter headed paper including details of qualification online
- Online renewal: Renew your doctor permit quickly and easily online. To use this facility you will need to have an applicant identifier and permit reference number
- automated payment line (ATP): see contact information to the right of the page. To use this facility you will need to have an applicant identifier and permit reference number
- by post: To apply for a doctors permit or a doctor's parking bay, please print, complete and return the application form to the right of this page with proof of vehicle ownership and practice letter headed paper including details of qualification online
Costs, documents and terms and conditions
Parking permits - terms and conditions
Before you can apply for a Doctors permit you need to ensure you have a doctor’s parking bay. This needs to be approved by the Parking Design team and can take up to 3 months to process. We cannot issue a Doctors permit until you have a doctors parking bay. When you apply for a parking permit you agree to our terms and conditions.
Doctors permit renewals require proof to be submitted every three years, they must be renewed either shortly before, or on the date the existing permit expires. Failure to follow this procedure could result in a penalty charge notice (PCN). When you apply for a parking permit you agree to our terms and conditions.
Doctors permit cost
Doctors permit: £200
Printing permits at home
When renewing your permit online, you will be given the opportunity to either print the permit at home or have the permit printed by our office and sent to you in the post
The home-printed version of a permit looks different to a permit we send you, however it is still valid on-street and civil enforcement officers are aware of the variation.
Changing permit details
We offer a number of online services to change permit details including:
Terms and conditions
- Permits are issued only to legally qualified practitioners who are liable to be called away in an emergency and are valid only for the bay allocated on the permit.
- The permit does not allow you to park in a “Resident Permit Holders Only” parking place, Pay and Display bays, yellow lines or any other parking restriction.
- The issue of a Doctors permit does not render the council subject to any liability in respect of loss or damage to the vehicle in a parking place or the contents or fittings of the vehicle.
- The permit must be displayed on the front windscreen of the vehicle so that the details are clearly visible from outside the vehicle.
- Parking places may be suspended by any person duly authorised by the council or police. A Doctors permit is not valid in a parking place where signs indicate it is suspended.
- It is prohibited to use a vehicle in a parking place in connection with the sale or offering or exposing for sale of goods.
- If a permit is lost or destroyed the council may replace the permit once an administration charge has been paid. The replacement permit will display the same expiry date as the previous permit.
- If the permit is no longer required the council may arrange a refund for the remaining number of months once the original permit is returned to our office. The refund is calculated from the date the permit is received and will be calculated for any full unused months.
- The council may revoke a permit if it is believed that the permit is being misused.
- Failure to comply with these conditions may result in a Penalty Charge Notice being issued to your vehicle.