London Borough of Barnet

How to complain about your child's school

Three children (6-8) running in playground (blurred motion)

How to complain about your child’s school

If you have a concern about your child’s education or school, it can usually be resolved by talking to a member of school staff or the headteacher. However, there may be occasions when you want to make a complaint. 

All schools will have a formal complaints policy which will explain what you can do and who you should speak to at each stage of making a complaint.

Complaints procedures normally have three main stages:

Stage 1

You first need to take up your complaint with your child’s teacher, subject teacher or head of year.

Stage 2

If you are dissatisfied with their response you can make a complaint to the headteacher.

Stage 3

If you feel that you need to pursue your complaint further or your complaint is about the headteacher you will need to contact the Chair of the governing body. The governing body will arrange for your complaint to be fully investigated in line with the schools complaints procedure.

First Contact

North London Business Park (NLBP), Oakleigh Road South, London N11 1NP

Tel: 020 8359 2000

Fax: 0870 889 7458