What is the Colindale Area Action Plan?
The Colindale Area Action Plan (AAP), adopted in March 2010, is a statutory planning document which forms part of the Barnet Local Development Framework. It provides policies and guidance which will be used in the consideration of development proposals in Colindale, and will be a material consideration in the determination of planning applications in the AAP area.
The purpose of the AAP is to ensure that development in Colindale takes place in a balanced and co-ordinated manner by setting out a comprehensive framework to guide, over the next 10 to 15 years, the delivery of:
- associated community facilities
- transport initiatives
- environmental enhancement.
Colindale is identified in the London Plan as an Opportunity Area and this AAP will provide a framework within which 10,000 new homes, a new heart for the area to provide retail, commercial and community facilities, 1000 jobs and significant public transport and highways improvements will be delivered.
We aim to ensure that growth in Colindale is focused around an accessible and attractive new neighbourhood centre that serves the everyday needs of local people combined with an exciting transport interchange at Colindale underground station.
It is essential that Colindale provides the full range of community and education services that are so important for communities to flourish. New areas of housing will be linked to existing neighbourhoods by an improved network of streets and quality green open spaces.
From consultation to adoption
- we submitted the Colindale AAP to the Secretary of State on 18 August 2009 following publication of the submission document and two years of extensive consultation with the public and key stakeholders
- an Examination in Public (EiP) to test the soundness of the document was held in November 2009, conducted by an independent inspector
- following the EiP, the inspector issued his report on 18 January 2010 finding the AAP to be sound
- the amended AAP was approved by the council’s Cabinet on 22 February 2010 and formally adopted by the council on 2 March 2010.
Colindale AAP documents
The documents can be viewed at the Planning Reception, Barnet House, 1255 the High Road, Whetstone, N20 0EJ, and in the Burnt Oak, Hendon, Edgware and Mill Hill libraries.
Need more information?
The full suite of AAP-associated documents and technical reports can be downloaded from the Publication of Submission Document page. If you would like a further explanation of any matter relating to the Colindale AAP or the Local Development Framework, please contact the council using the details opposite.
- preferred Options Consultation (October - December 2008)
- issues and Options Consultation (December 2007 - February 2008)
- Colindale AAP Background Guidance.