Money matters

If you're worried about the costs of social care support, or are struggling to manage your finances, there's many ways of getting advice on money matters.

It's important to plan ahead for your future support needs, and how these might impact on your finances.

  • paying for long-term care gives information to anyone who is contributing towards the cost of their care services and would like specialist financial advice.
  • Whatever your financial situation, take a look at maximising your income to see whether you or someone you care for could be eligible for any benefits.

Managing someone else's affairs: Mental Capacity Act

There may come a time when it becomes necessary for someone else to manage your financial affairs if you are unable to do so yourself, perhaps due to learning disabilities, mental health problems or because of an illness, such as dementia.

Under the Mental Capacity Act people can choose someone to manage their finances and property and make health and welfare decisions if they can no longer do so. 

This is a sensitive matter and needs to be carefully thought out. The best way to handle the situation is to plan for the future if possible, by drawing up a legal agreement known as a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA).

You can find out more about how LPAs work from the Office of the Public Guardian, the official watchdog body that protects the interests of people who are unable to manage their own affairs.

Rate this page