Maximising your income

We want to make sure people living in Barnet are receiving all the benefits that they're entitled to.

Attendance Allowance

If you're over 65 years old and need supervision or help with personal care because of an illness or disability, then you may be entitled to claim Attendance Allowance. You can get Attendance Allowance even if you live alone, if no one is giving you help, or even if you would not accept any help.

The amount you get depends on how much your disability affects you.

For more information or to make a claim contact the Attendance Allowance Helpline:

Carer's Allowance

If you're over 16 and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone who is getting Attendance Allowance or either the middle or higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, then you may be eligible to claim Carer's Allowance. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person that you care for.

You can ask for a claim form over the telephone, by contacting the Carer's Allowance Unit:

Council Tax and Housing Benefits

If you're on a low income, whether you're working or not, and need financial help to pay your rent or Council Tax bill, you may be able to get Housing Benefit or Council Tax benefit.

To get Council Tax or Housing benefit your income and capital (savings and investments) need to be below a certain level.  How much benefit you receive depends on your particular situation and the level of any savings you have.

To find out if you are eligible for housing benefit or council tax benefit, contact the Housing Benefit line:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) replaces the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16 to 64.

If you need help with personal care or need help getting around because of a long-term physical or mental disability, or both, then you may be able to claim . You can get Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment whether you work or not.

You could receive between £21.80 to £82.30 per week to help with the extra costs caused by your condition. How much you get is not based on your condition, but how your condition affects you.

You’ll need to have an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your award will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

You can make a PIP claim online or contact the Disability Benefits Helpline (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm):

If you were born on or before 8 April 1948

  • Tel: 0345 605 6055
  • Textphone: 0345 604 5312

If you were born after 8 April 1948

  • Tel: 0345 712 3456
  • Textphone: 0345 722 4433

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) provides financial help to people who are unable to work because of illness or disability. ESA also offers personalised help so that you can work if you are able to.

It gives you access to a specially trained personal adviser and a wide range of  services including employment, training and condition management support to help you manage and cope with your illness or disability at work.

Employment and Support Allowance involves a medical assessment called the Work Capability Assessment. This assesses what you can do, rather than what you cannot, and identifies the health-related support you might need. The amount you receive depends on your circumstances. It also depends how much your disability impacts your ability to do any work.

You can make an Employment and Support Allowance claim online, by telephone or textphone

  • Tel: 0800 055 6688
  • Textphone: 0800 023 4888

Winter Fuel Payment

You are entitled to Winter Fuel Payment if you're aged 60 or over. This is an annual one-off payment towards the cost of your heating bills. You may receive up to £300 depending on your age.

You should receive this payment automatically without making a claim if you are getting a state retirement pension or other Social Security benefit. For more information call the Winter Fuel Payment Helpline:

  • Tel: 0845 915 1515
  • Textphone: 0845 601 5613

Working Tax Credit

Some low-paid and disabled workers may be able to claim tax credits. If you are aged 16 or over and work more than 16 hours per week you may qualify. Working Tax Credit is based on the hours you work and get paid for, or expect to be paid for. It does not matter if you are employed or self-employed, but unpaid work does not count as work when claiming tax credits.

For more information or to make a claim contact the tax credit helpline:

  • Tel: 0345 300 3900
  • Textphone: 0345 300 3909
  • You can also make a claim for Working Tax Credit online

Rate this page