Skip to content

Direct payments

What direct payments can be used for

Direct Payments can only be spent on support to meet your social care needs, as identified in your social care needs assessment. You'll need to create a support plan, showing the areas in your life that you need support with. This must be agreed by Barnet Council before you start receiving your direct payments.

You can use Direct Payments to pay for goods and services identified in your support plan. There isn't a specific list of goods or services which you can buy to meet your needs. One of the benefits of using Direct Payments is that you have the chance to choose less traditional services. Here are some examples of how you might choose to use your Direct Payment:

  • Support with personal care
  • Support to get out and about in the community
  • Support to maximise your independence and well being
  • Employ a personal assistant to help you with your personal care and household tasks.

What Direct Payments can't be used for

  • You can't use your Direct Payments to employ a relative or partner who lives in your home, apart from in exceptional circumstances.
  • You can't use it to purchase permanent residential care, but you can use it to pay for short breaks as part of your assessed care needs.

Direct Payments for equipment

You can choose to receive a Direct Payment to buy equipment to help you at home. This is usually for large pieces of equipment (with a value over £100) such as bath lifts or chairs. You choose where to buy the equipment.

You would normally be given a prescription for smaller pieces of equipment, but you can choose to receive a Direct Payment instead.

What you need to do to receive direct payments

To receive direct payments, you will have to:

  • have a financial assessment to see if you need to contribute some of your own money in addition to your direct payment from us
  • sign a written agreement with us to say that you'll spend the money on the services you have been assessed as needing. You will not be able to receive your first payment until you have signed this agreement
  • set up a separate bank account to keep your direct payment money in, along with any contribution you need to make. This account must not contain any other money than that intended for your social care support
  • provide proof of spending by keeping receipts and statements to show what the Direct Payment has been used for.

We are legally obliged to check how people are spending their Direct Payments. You are expected to keep records of all your expenditure relating to your direct payments, including your bank statements. More information can be found in the Direct Payments policy and procedures.

What is the amount that I will receive?

Direct Payments are paid once a month into your dedicated bank account. The amount you receive will depend on what support you have had been assessed as needing.

You may have to contribute towards the cost of your care, depending on your circumstances.  This will be discussed during your assessment. If you do have to contribute towards the cost of your support, the amount you must contribute will be deducted from your direct payment.

The amount you receive is reviewed once a year, when you have your annual review of your care needs. If you go on holiday, or need to have a stay in hospital, you must let your social worker or care manager know, as they may need to adjust the amount of your direct payment.

One-off direct payments

Some people will be given a one-off payment for the purchase of items such as a training course. For many people, their direct payment for equipment may also be a one-off payment.

You will not be expected to open a separate bank account, but must send a receipt or other evidence showing the money was spent appropriately to the council.

Support for people receiving direct payments

You can get support to manage your direct payment including:

  • support to set up your payments
  • ongoing help to manage your money and using it in the most effective way.

Skip to:

Rate this page?