Freedom Pass for older and disabled people

Freedom pass

Freedom Pass for older and disabled people is funded by your local council and gives free travel on most public transport in London 24 hours a day (after 9.30am on most National Rail services within the London area), including weekends and public holidays.

This pass may also be used to travel on local bus services in the rest of England under the terms of the Concessionary Bus Travel Act 2007.

Older persons Freedom Pass

You can apply for the Older Persons Freedom Pass if you meet the age criteria and your sole or principal residence is in the London Borough of Barnet.

  • Find out if you are eligible, what documents you need and  to apply online, please visit Freedom Pass website
  • If you’re a London resident, aged 60 or over, and not yet eligible for a Freedom Pass, you may be eligible for TfL’s 60+ London Oyster Photocard. Find out more at and search for 60 plus.

Apply for an older persons Freedom Pass

Disabled persons Freedom Pass

Disabled Person’s Freedom Pass Renewal 2020

If your current Freedom Pass expires on 31 March 2020 you will receive a letter from the Assisted Travel team with details on how to renew your pass.  If you do not respond to the letter your Freedom Pass will be deactivated.  

When you get your renewal letter, renew your pass as soon as possible so that your pass arrives before your current one expires.

Renewing your pass online is quick and easy.  If you don’t have the internet at home, speak to a friend or relative to see if they can help.  If you require a paper application form, please contact us on 0208 359 4131.

You can apply for the Disabled Persons' Freedom Pass if your sole or principal residence is in the London Borough of Barnet and you have any of the statutory disabilities listed in the Transport Act 2000.

You can get a Disabled Persons' Freedom Pass if you:

  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are without speech
  • have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left you with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a learning disability (that is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning').
  • would be turned down if you applied for a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, because of section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) and not on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

Apply for or renew a Disabled Persons Freedom Pass

Lost, stolen, damaged or faulty passes

If your Freedom Pass has been lost, damaged, or it has been stolen you can:

From 1 April 2018 ​Freedom Pass holders who lose or damage their passes will be charged £12 for replacements.

Apply for a replacement Freedom Pass

The Freedom Pass is paid for by your local council and the scheme is managed by London Councils on behalf of the London boroughs.


Assisted Travel Team

  • Telephone: 020 8359 4131
  • Address: 2 Bristol Avenue, Colindale, NW9 4EW

Rate this page?