Services and equipment are available to support your safety and independence in your own home or of someone you care for.
Assist alarm service
Assist alarm service is an emergency service that provides a 24-hour, 365-day-a-year monitoring and response service. It can support people of all ages including the elderly, disabled and those suffering from domestic violence.
The service is provided by Barnet Homes and involves a cord or button-style monitor connected to a response centre. When you activate the alarm, this alerts the response centre where trained staff will be on hand to help and reassure you.
This service allows you to continue to live independently in your own home or sheltered housing with the knowledge that help is at hand if needed.
How to get an Assist alarm service
Contact the Social Care Direct team on 020 8359 5000 for a needs assessment to see if you qualify for financial support from the council towards the alarm. If you already have a social worker, they will also be able to give you further information about the service.
Telecare equipment provides a home safety and personal security system to enable people to live independently in their own homes. It also reassures carers that the person they care for is safe.
How it works
Telecare uses state of the art technology which is linked to 24-hour response centre, to monitor and detect potential crisis situations. Should a sensor be activated, a message is sent to the centre where trained staff notify the most appropriate person/s that assistance is needed. This could be a family member, neighbour, doctor or emergency services.
Who's it for?
Telecare can be useful to anyone young or old who needs some extra support to stay safe when living independently. This could include:
- older people - especially those who have just been discharged from hospital and need some extra reassurance or people with dementia
- disabled people
- people with learning disabilities
- people at risk of domestic violence or repeat victimisation
- provides support and reassurance for carers
- gives confidence to vulnerable people
- enables people to stay independent and safe at home
- helps people who fall or have accidents
- helps to prevent admission to and assist discharge from hospital
- provides a rapid response to crisis situations
A flexible range of Telecare sensors and detectors is available, including:
- personal trigger - a call for help can be raised from anywhere in the home or garden
- bogus caller button - fitted near a door, this discreet button can be used to call for assistance at the 24- hour response centre when a stranger requests entry to your house
- smoke detector - the radio additional protection raises an instant alarm call to the response centre
- fall detector - automatically detects a serious fall and raises an alert at the response centre
- flood detector - this neat radio sensor provides an early warning by alerting the response centre of potential flood situations in the home
How to get Telecare equipment
Anyone can purchase Telecare equipment themselves by contacting one of the equipment providers from our directory.
To have Telecare equipment provided to you by us, you must qualify for a service. Contact the Social Care Direct team on 020 8359 5000 for a needs assessment to see if you qualify. If you already have a social worker, they will also be able to give you further information about the service.