Barnet’s 0 - 25 Disability Service offers a service to children or young people from 0 – 25 years of age and combines the previous 0-18 Disabled Children’s Team and the Transitions Team. The eligibility criteria is broader for over 18’s and also includes those with Care Act eligible needs who have a learning disability.
The team offers a service to children and young people who have a diagnosed severe/profound disability or diagnosed chronic health condition resulting in severe and profound disability.
You need to meet the above eligibility Criteria to access a service offered by the 0-25 Disabilities Service.
What do we do?
- if a child or young person meets the criteria of the 0 - 25 Disability Service for a social work service, an assessment can be undertaken. This assessment will provide detailed information about the needs of the child and family which will help develop a plan of support for the child/young person
- if required, a package of support may be offered which may include Direct Payments
- we provide a statutory safeguarding role for children and assess families where there are safeguarding concerns or where the parents may be struggling
- we provide a statutory safeguarding role for adults 18 – 25 who have disabilities
- we support children, young people and their families through transitions to adulthood
- we liaise with other agencies such as housing, education, health and occupational therapy. We contribute to Educational Health Care Plans and Continuing Care assessments or Continuing Health care Assessments
- we offer a Short Breaks package to those children aged 0 - 18 who meet the eligibility criteria
- we provide advice and can direct families to national and local voluntary services
How to access our service?
For children 0 - 18 families can self-refer or be referred by another agency they are in contact with such as a GP or a health worker.
Referrals are made via the Barnet Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 0208 359 4066 or email email@example.com.
The MASH team will then contact us to check if your child is likely to meet our eligibility criteria. You may need to have information that confirms details about your child's disability. This may be recent medical reports or letters from the medical consultants who are responsible for your child's care. We will not see these reports without your consent.
Once we have this information we will complete an assessment to ascertain your child's needs. This will allow us to make recommendations on support and help for your child and the family.
For adults 18-25 referrals are usually made via Barnet Social Care Direct 0208 359 5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Details of all Short Break services, including eligibility criteria and online application form can be found here.
Children not eligible for social care support through the 0-25 Disability Service
Where children have less severe forms of disability, a social care assessment can be completed by one off the other social care teams in Family Services. Referrals can be made via the M<ASH team as above.
Additionally Barnet's Local Offer gives children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and their families information about education, health and care services, leisure activities and support groups in their local area.