Loading, please wait

Freedom Pass for older and disabled people

  • Adult social care

Freedom Pass for older and disabled people is funded by your local borough council and gives free travel on most public transport in London 24 hours a day (after 9.30am on most National Rail services within the London area), including all day at weekends and on public holidays. This pass may also be used to travel on local bus services in the rest of England under the terms of the Concessionary Bus Travel Act 2007.

Passes for disabled people in Barnet

Apply for a Disabled Persons Freedom Pass

You can apply for the Disabled Persons Freedom Pass if your sole or principal residence is in the London Borough of Barnet and you have any of the statutory disabilities listed in the Transport Act 2000.

The statutory disabilities which make someone eligible for a disabled person’s Freedom Pass are:

  • People who are blind or partially sighted
  • People who are profoundly or severely deaf
  • People without speech
  • People who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left them with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk
  • People who do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • People who have a learning disability that is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning'
  • People who, if they applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, would have their application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

Passes for older people in Barnet

Apply for a Older Persons Freedom Pass

You can apply for the Older Persons Freedom Pass if you meet the age criteria and your sole or principal residence is in the London Borough of Barnet.

  • To find out if you are eligible please visit www.freedompass.org
  • If you’re a London resident, aged 60 or over, and not yet eligible for a Freedom Pass, you may be eligible for TfL’s 60+ London Oyster Photocard. Find out more at www.tfl.gov.uk and search for 60 plus.

More information about what documents you will need when you apply online can be found on the Freedom Pass website.

If you are unable to apply online, you can pick up a paper application form, which you will need to complete and return in the post. Application forms can be picked up from Chipping Library, 3 Stapylton Road, Barnet, EN5 4QT.

  • Mon - 10am - 8pm
  • Tue - 9.30am - 5pm
  • Wed - 9.30am - 8pm
  • Thu - 9.30am - 5pm
  • Fri - 9.30am - 8pm
  • Sat - 9.30am - 5pm
  • Sun - 2pm - 5pm

You will need to provide proof of your identity, proof of your address and one colour passport-sized photograph to apply.

Lost, stolen, damaged or faulty passes?

For more information or if you have lost, stolen or damaged your freedom pass contact:

  • Freedom Pass Helpline on 0300 330 1433 (local call rate, open Monday - Sunday 8am-8pm) or email info@freedompass.org.

​Freedom Pass holders who lose or damage their passes will be charged £10 for replacements.

The Freedom Pass is paid for by your local council and the scheme is managed by London Councils on behalf of the London boroughs.


  • Assisted Travel Team
  • North London Business Park (NLBP), Oakleigh Road South, London N11 1NP
  • Tel: 020 8359 4131
  • FAX: 020 8359 4156

Rate this page