Loading, please wait

Keeping people safe

  • Adult social care

We are committed to working in partnership with other organisations to support adults at risk to maintain their independence and to be able to live a life that is free from abuse and neglect.

What is abuse?

Abuse is any form of mistreatment or lack of care from another person or people that leads to injury or harm.

Abuse can happen to anyone regardless of their age, gender, race or ability. It may be planned or unplanned and it may be the result of deliberate intent, negligence or ignorance.

Abuse can take many forms. The pages in this section give more information about these forms of abuse:

Where does it happen?

Abuse can take place in a person's own home, a residential or nursing home, supported housing, day centres, clinics or hospitals and the abuser can be a friend, neighbour, relative, a paid or unpaid carer, professional worker or anyone from your community.

Abuse can happen once, twice or many times, no matter how many times it happens, it is wrong and you should not have to suffer.


How can you help?

Unfortunately, people being abused are often least likely to bring the situation to anyone's attention. If you see, or know of, a worrying situation please do not ignore it.

Get in touch with us and we will do something about it. Call us on 020 8359 5000 and you will speak to one of our trained social care advisors who will ask you questions about the situation.

What we do next will depend upon what you tell us. We may act directly on your information and/or contact other services to put an end to an abusive or neglectful situation. Any information you provide to us will be treated in the strictest confidence.

We will also provide information and offer practical advice to the person suffering abuse, so that they can make an informed choice about any help they might need, or any action they may wish to take. If they are unable to make an informed choice, care will be taken to support and protect them.

Family carers

Family carers can play a very important part in safeguarding adults.  They will often see or hear something that concerns them or they can notice a change in the person they care for.  In these circumstances family carers need to know how to report their concerns.

There are occasions when a family carer is under so much pressure they feel like hitting or shouting at the person they care for.  They might even have done this.  Family carers need to know where they can turn in order to get advice, information and support. 

The same is true if family carers themselves experience abuse.  They don’t have to put up with it and can receive support from the Carers’ Hub, organisations in Barnet which support family carers.

For more information about abuse, you can also download our booklet:

 For more information about other crime:


  • Reporting Abuse
  • North London Business Park (NLBP),
    Oakleigh Road South, London N11 1NP
  • Email: socialcaredirect@barnet.gov.uk
  • Out of hours service
  • Tel: 020 8359 2000
  • Barnet Domestic Violence Service
  • Tel: 020 8733 4113
  • Email: Barnet@solacewomensaid.org

Download documents

Rate this page