Loading, please wait
Adult Social Care Home Page Report abuse Barnet Community Directory

Money and legal matters

Understand what benefits and discounts you can claim. Get financial advice including how to pay for care. Make arrangements for your financial affairs.

Seek help from Citizen Advice Barnet

If you need help with money matters, you can call, email or drop in to Citizens Advice BarnetThey can assess your situation and help you decide what to do next. 

Call the Citizen Advice Barnet Helpline: 0300 456 8365

Claiming benefits 

You may be entitled to a range of benefits and exemptions, according to your circumstances including allowances, reductions or exemptions. 

Use the Age UK benefits calculator to check what you can claim for

Funding the cost of care

There are lots of options that are free or low cost, such as:

Social care services, unlike health care, is not free for everyone. Most people will have to contribute something towards the cost of their care with some people having to pay the full cost.

If you think you need support with the cost of your care, then have a conversation with us about a financial assessment of your needs

Understand your potential care costs: use the BBC social care calculator (external link)

Look for independent financial advice to work out how to pay for care and support

It is always good to know what all your options are when you’re thinking about how to pay for care and support. 

Later life financial advisers specialise in the needs of older people. They can offer good advice about paying for care.

Seek independent financial advice through the Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA).

Appoint people to help you make decisions: lasting power of attorney

You can appoint one or more people, known as attorneys, to help you make decisions or to make decisions on your behalf.

This gives you more control over what happens to you if you have an accident or an illness and can’t make your own decisions (you ‘lack mental capacity’).

How to make a lasting power of attorney (GOV.UK external link)

Deputies: make decisions for someone who lacks capacity

You can apply to become someone’s deputy if they ‘lack mental capacity’. This means they can’t make a decision for themselves at the time it needs to be made.

Find out how to apply to become a deputy for someone (GOV.UK external link)

Rate this page