Getting home from hospital
Plan and prepare for when you leave hospital.
Plan before you go to hospital
Make sure you have a plan before you go into hospital. This may be a plan you can make with family, friends and neighbours. For example:
- Checking there's food and drink for when you get home
- Carrying out small tasks around the house
- Making sure your home is warm enough
- Collecting prescriptions
- Dropping in for a chat
While you're in hospital
You, your family or carer and staff involved in your care, will all work together to plan for your discharge and return home.
If extra support is needed, a referral to the hospital social work team can be made and they will make an assessment of your needs.
Help after leaving hospital
If you are struggling, then we may be able to provide some support options for when you get home. For example: :
- help with personal care
- equipment to help you carry out daily tasks
- adaptations to your home to help you get in and around your home
- accessing community
- support for people caring for you
- care home if you unable to continue to live safely at home
You might have to pay towards some of these things. How much you contribute will depend on your income and the amount of help you need.
Please contact Social Care Direct by email or phone.
Let us know how we have done - send us your comments, compliments or complaints.
Find out how you could support someone in their own home and help them live independently.
Events and activities
Search for an event or activity in your local area, from joining a support group to attending a training session.