Loading, please wait
Adult Social Care Home Page Report abuse Barnet Community Directory

Home care

Home care, sometimes known as domiciliary care, personal care or paid care, is a service at your home to help with eating, drinking, washing, bathing, toileting, dressing, taking your medication as well as domestic tasks, such as preparing meals, shopping, laundry and helping you to get around.

Arranging for home care

You may want to look online for home care in and around Barnet.

We recommend you check the Care Quality Commission as they monitor, inspect and rate the standard of home care providers. 

You should always check this information before choosing to purchase care from any agency.

Employing someone yourself

Some people prefer to employ their own carer or personal assistant. This has the advantage that you will always have the same carer.  If you are considering this option, you will need to think about your responsibilities as an employer.

As an employer you have important responsibilities. The GOV.UK website has information on employment topics such as:

  • employment terms and conditions
  • national minimum wage
  • paid holiday
  • tax
  • sick pay and maternity pay

Paying for home care

If you think you need help to pay for home care, then have a conversation with us about how we may be able to support you. Please contact Social Care Direct by email socialcaredirect@barnet.gov.uk or phone 020 8359 5000 for an assessment of your needs.

If this assessment shows that you qualify for support from us, we will work with you to plan for what is best for you.

Enablement home care package for short term care

If you qualify for support from us, we may be able to offer a short-term enablement package for up to a maximum of 6 weeks.

The home care enablement service aims to:

  • help you to do things for yourself so that you can regain your independence
  • focus on achieving short-term goals
  • provide an opportunity to assess your progress to achieve your goals

Personal budgets for long term home care

If you are assessed as needing support and assistance at home in the long term, you will be offered a personal budget to give you choice and control over who provides your help in the future. This is the amount of money required to meet your social care needs.

You may have to pay towards the cost of the support you receive from us. How much you contribute towards your personal budget will depend on your income and the amount of help you need.

If you pay for your own home care

If you pay for your own services (whether or not we help you to arrange them), you are advised to get professional independent financial advice to help you to meet the costs of your care in the future. See paying for long-term care for more information.

Complaints about home care services

In the first place, complaints should be made to the organisation which provides your home care.

See our compliments and complaints page for more information about how to make a complaint.

Rate this page