Deaf and hearing impaired support
If you are a person who is Deaf or who has hearing loss or Tinnitus, you can get support from JDA, including a range of social, cultural and educational programmes.
Find out more about regular meet-ups and classes such as:
- regular Tuesday cafe meeting place for Deaf, mostly BSL users
- hearing aid support and social groups for people with hearing loss
- lipreading classes
- job club
Equipment and telephones to cope with hearing loss and improve communication
Try out specialist equipment enabling you to:
- be alerted to the phone, doorbell, smoke detector, wake up alarm or baby crying
- hear more clearly with or without a hearing aid
- adjust the volume on an amplified telephone
- communicate by telephone without speech or hearing
Communication support for council services
1. BSL interpreters
The council works with DA Languages to support deaf, deafblind and hard of hearing people in Barnet to have access to social care services.
If requested your social worker will arrange a:
- BSL interpreter
- Sign Supported English (SEE) interpreter
- Manual interpreter for Deafblind people
- Speech to text reporter (palantypists).
This service is free.
Communication support for emergency services
If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired people you can send an SMS message to 999 to call for help and the emergency services will be able to reply to you.
You will need to register your mobile phone before using the emergencySMS service.
How to use emergencySMS
Apps that assist with hearing impairment
What does it do?
This app displays subtitles to each of your phone calls automatically. (Available on Google Play only)
This app enables video-based calls, created for the deaf and hard of hearing community.
This app amplifies the sound around you to help you understand conversations more clearly. You can adjust the sound levels to your personal need. (Available on Apple Store only)
This app allows users to search and compare thousands of words and phrases in BSL. (Available on Apple Store only)