Loading, please wait

Tell us once

  • Births, deaths, marriages and nationality

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most local and central government organisations in one go, about things like stopping tax payments and housing benefits, drivers license, electoral register.

How to use

Once you have registered the death, the registrar will tell you about using Tell Us Once and give you a unique reference number to access the service.

Following the registration of the death, you can complete Tell Us Once online, at a time of your choosing, and when you have all the documentation to hand.

By telephone 
Call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308 after you have registered the death. The lines are open Monday to Friday, between 8am and 8pm. The number is free to call from a BT landline, but other providers may charge you. If you don’t speak English, just tell the advisers and they will arrange for an interpreter to call you back.

In person
You will be offered this service when you register a death. If you would like to use the service, and have all the appropriate documentation to hand, the Registrar will send the information to your chosen organisations there and then.

Who Tell Us Once gets in touch with

We can inform Barnet Council about:

  • electoral register
  • housing benefits
  • council tax payments
  • council housing
  • Blue Badges
  • library cards

We can inform Central Government about:

  • British passports
  • UK drivers licence
  • pensions, war pensions
  • benefits like disability, carers
  • Jobcentre Plus

Who Tell Us Once doesn't get in touch with

Documents needed

You need permission from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator or anyone who was claiming joint benefits or entitlements with the deceased before you give their details.

You’ll need the deceased’s:

  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • driving licence number
  • passport number
  • details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, e.g. State Pension
  • details of any local council services they were getting, e.g. Blue Badge
  • name and address of their next of kin
  • name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’

If you are unable to locate any of this information in time for your appointment, please don't worry, you will still be able to use the service online or by telephone.

Rate this page