Arranging a marriage or civil partnership ceremony
- Births, deaths, marriages and nationality
Arranging a wedding or civil partnership ceremony
Contact the Register Office, or approved venue where you want to have your marriage or civil partnership ceremony, to check their availability before giving notice.
- most Register Offices or Approved Venues in England and Wales will accept a provisional booking up to 12 months in advance of your wedding or civil partnership. We have a number of approved premises for marriage and civil partnership ceremonies
- in addition to paying a fee to hire the approved venue for your marriage or civil partnership ceremony, you will also need to pay a fee for the attendance of a Superintendent Registrar to conduct the ceremony and a Registrar to register the event
On the day of your marriage or civil partnership ceremony a registrar will take you into the marriage room to check the information on the marriage authorities or civil partnership schedule, to make sure the details about you are correct and up-to-date.
You can be interviewed together or separately, please let us know in advance which you prefer. The Registrar will then invite your guests into the marriage room and the Superintendent Registrar will conduct the ceremony.
You must exchange some formal wording if you are getting married. You don’t need to exchange vows for a civil partnership, but you can do so if you wish.
Civil ceremonies can include exchanging rings, readings, songs or music, but must not include anything that’s religious, eg hymns or readings from the Bible.
We have a number of civil ceremony scripts available to chose from. You can discuss this and any other wording you want with us prior to the date of the ceremony.
The marriage or civil partnership certificate can be purchased on the day for a a small fee. You may need a copy to prove your marital status in the future.
- Barnet Registration and Nationality Service
- Hendon Town Hall, The Burroughs, London, NW4 4BG
- Tel: 020 8359 6400
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening hours
- Monday to Friday 8:30am-5pm, Saturday 9am-4pm and Sunday 9am-1pm
Enquiries: Contact us online