Funding for your business
Loans and grants from outside agencies
The most suitable finance option for your business depends on many things, including:
- how much funding you need
- your current business revenue or if you’re a new business
- whether or not you’re willing to offer personal assets as security – this can make it easier to get funding but is risky if you’re not able to maintain payments
- whether or not you own a business property – this can make it easier to get funding
- whether or not you’re willing to sell shares
Learn more about the different types of business finance.
Find government backed financial support
Government backed support and finance for your business can be found here.
- The Start Up Loans Company is a government funded scheme set up to provide advice, business loans and mentoring to start-up businesses
- There are first year business start-up allowances from HM Revenue and Customs
- Job CentrePlus offer the New Enterprise Allowance to help unemployed people start their own businesses. Support includes access to a volunteer business mentor who will provide guidance to help develop a business plan and advice through the early months of trading. Once an applicant has a viable business plan there are options for accessing some modest financial support.