- Children, young people and families
Choosing childcare and early education can be a big step for the whole family. As well as making sure that the type of childcare you choose is the one that best meets you and your child's needs, you also want to know that your child will be safe, secure, well looked after and happy.
our childcare directory lists a wide range of childcare options in Barnet including:
- registered childminders
- nursery, daycare and pre-school
- children's centres
- breakfast, after school and holiday clubs
- nanny and au pair agencies
- home childcarers
When choosing childcare:
- Visit a selection of childcare providers to give you an idea of what will suit you and your child
- Take your child with you to see how they would fit in
- Ask to see an Ofsted registration certificate and a recent inspection report
Points to think about during your visit:
- are the children settled, safe and happy?
- do children play and talk together?
- are staff listening to children and answering them carefully?
- are the staff friendly and enjoying their work?
- are the staff joining in with what the children are doing?
- are there lots of fun activities planned to help children learn and play?
- are the premises clean, well-kept and safe for children with a fun outside play area (or will children go to parks and other places regularly)?
- do parents have plenty of chances to say what they want for their children?
You will also need to consider how well the setting accommodates your child's needs.
If your child has SEND, you may also want to find out:
- what experience do they have of working with disabled children or children with additional needs?
- what disability training do they have? Would they need more training?
- how would they ensure that your child has the same play and learning opportunities as other children?
- how would the setting approach your child's disability with other children/parents?
- how will they communicate with you about your child's progress and needs?
- are they trained to give medication or use specific equipment?
Choosing a childminder if your child has a Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND)
In Barnet, children of all abilities and needs are included in Childminding settings. All EYFS settings, including Childminding settings, are required by law to make reasonable adjustments for children.
Childminders in Barnet also have access to an Area SENCo who can provide further specialist support and advice to childminders working with children with SEND. Childminders have access to a wide range of specialist training, led by the Pre-school Inclusion Team, on supporting children with SEND.with SEND.
The Local Offer
For more information on services, funding and support available to children with SEND, see Barnet’s Local Offer: https://barnet.gov.uk/citizen-home/children-young-people-and-families/the-local-offer-and-special-educational-needs.html
If there is anything else you want to know, do not be afraid to ask. Good childcare staff expect you to ask questions and will be happy to answer them.
- Families Information Services
- North London Business Park (NLBP)
Oakleigh Road South
London N11 1NP
- Tel: 0800 389 8312
- Opening hours
- Monday to Thursday 9am - 5.15pm, Fridays 9am - 5pm