Loading, please wait

Family benefits

  • Children, young people and families

Child benefit

Child benefit is a tax-free payment that you can claim for your child. 

Child Tax Credit

This is an income-related benefit for families with dependant children. You could get Child Tax Credit for each child you’re responsible for if they’re:

  • under 16
  • under 20 and in approved education or training

You don’t need to be working to claim Child Tax Credit. 

Working Tax Credit

This is an income-related benefit paid to working families with dependant children. To claim working tax credit your income must be below a set limit, 

Childcare element of the working tax credit

If you work, are responsible for a child or children and pay for childcare you may be able to get extra help with the costs. This is through the childcare element of Working Tax Credit

Childcare Vouchers

Some employers run a childcare voucher scheme to help you pay for childcare. Childcare vouchers can be offered to you in addition to your cash salary, but many employers offer them as a 'salary sacrifice'. This means that you sacrifice a specific amount of your salary and in exchange receive that amount in childcare.  Both you and your employer can gain because you do not pay tax or national insurance on the vouchers.

Free childcare for 2, 3 and 4 year olds

Some 2 year olds, and all 3 and 4 year olds are entitled to a Free Early Education (FEE) place, to find out more visit FEE.

Free school meals

Visit the free school meals page for further information.

Housing benefit and council tax support

Housing benefit and council tax benefit are means-tested benefits, which help people on low incomes to pay their rent and council tax. Many people think only the unemployed can claim. You can claim if you are:

  • working
  • receiving other benefits
  • self-employed or a pensioner
  • renting privately or from the council
  • living in a hostel or similar accommodation.

Normally, claims for housing benefit should be made by the person responsible for paying the rent to the landlord.

For council tax benefit, the person who is liable to pay the council tax for the property should make the claim.

To find out what you may be eligible to claim please see the Housing and Council Tax Benefit page.

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)

If you're out of work or working less than 16 hours a week on average, you may be able to get Jobseeker's Allowance. This is applicable when you have reached a working age.

To find out more contact your local Jobcentre Plus.

Other benefits 

There may be other benefits available to you. For more information visit GOV.UK.

Download documents

Rate this page