Benefits for children with special needs
- Children, young people and families
You may be able to claim benefits to help you if you if you are looking after a child with special support needs, including:
- a disabled child
- a child with emotional and behavioural problems or mental health support needs
- a long term illness including common childhood illness such as asthma and eczema
- developmental delay or other learning difficulties
Disability Living Allowance for children (DLA)
Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:
- is under 16
- has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability
Disabled child element of Child Tax Credit
If a parent is claiming Disability Living Allowance for their child they may also be able to claim additional support from the Disabled child element of Child Tax Credit.
You may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance if you look after a child for at least 35 hours per week who receives Disability Living Allowance at the middle or higher rate for personal care.
This benefit is not means-tested, but you cannot claim Carer's Allowance if you are in full-time education with 21 hours or more a week of supervised study or earn more than a certain amount per week after certain deductions have been made (such as Income Tax).
If you are a carer and provide 20 or more hours of support to a disabled person or older adult in Barnet then you may be eligible for a Carer's Direct Payment.
- North London Business Park (NLBP), Oakleigh Road South, London N11 1NP
- Tel: 0800 389 8312
- Opening hours
- Families and Young People's Information Service.
Enquiries: Contact us online
We are open:
9am - 5.15pm Monday to Thursday9am - 5pm on Fridays