Loading, please wait

Transport in the Local Offer

Having access to suitable transport can make a big difference to someone with additional needs.

This section provides information about travel options within the London Borough of Barnet and other useful travel/transport information.

Travelling to and from an education setting

Most children are able to travel to and from school either by themselves or with a parent or other adult.

However, some children will be unable to do so because of their physical or learning disability. In such cases, we may offer assistance with transport.

If a child goes to a special school or has an Education, Health and Care Plan or statement of SEN, this doesn't automatically mean that he or she qualifies for help with transport. Each application for travel assistance is considered individually.

We will consider distances and will also look at the child's special needs before we decide whether to provide help with transport and what form the transport assistance will take.

Where assistance is agreed, consideration is then given to how the pupil will travel to school. The offer of assistance will take account of the needs of the child, the distance from home to school, the suitability and availability of public transport, whether there is already transport going to the named school, and the efficient use of Council resources.

In addition, the Council will seek options which promote independence and the well-being of pupils including, for example, encouraging a healthy lifestyle by walking a reasonable distance where the pupil is mobile and the route is safe.

• Travel options will be appropriate for the needs of the child and considered in the following order:
• Walking to school, accompanied as necessary by the parent/carer
• Walking bus organised by the school
• Travel pass/Oyster Card for the pupil to travel unaccompanied
• Travel pass/Oyster Card for the parent/carer to accompany the pupil
• Personal Travel Budget (PTB) to assist with the cost when the parent/carer agrees to take full responsibility for getting the child to school. A PTB is funding that is provided directly to parents/carers monthly via direct debit, to arrange their own travel solutions. This gives families the independence and flexibility to manage and co-ordinate their own transport arrangements. For example, the funding can be used to contribute towards; travel cards, transport attendants, taxis, private school buses etc. The amount offered will vary depending on the distance from home to school, circumstance, resources available and other factors.


  • a mileage allowance for parents to use their own car to transport the pupil
  • funding for a passenger assistant to accompany the child, either walking or by public transport
  • a seat on a shared school coach or minibus arranged by the Council.

All travel assistance will be reviewed on a regular basis which takes into account the developing needs of the child along with any changes in local or national policy and practice. We will look at travel assistance offered during the annual review but also from time to time during the year.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan, a Statement of Special Educational Needs, or a disability which means they cannot walk of travel by public transport, please refer to the SEN Home to School Travel Assistance Policy for more information.

If you're over 16 but under 25 years of age as at 31 August 2016, please refer to the Policy and Arrangements for the Provision of Transport for 16-25 Year Olds to Access Appropriate Education and Training for further information.

For further information please contact transport.brokering@barnet.gov.uk. You can also download an application form for travel assistance.

The Wheelchair Passport Scheme

┬×Wheelchair passports are specialised manuals assigned exclusively to each wheelchair, after individual assessments, which is part of an innovative risk management strategy. The passports provide detailed guidance to professionals involved on how to secure each wheelchair and passenger on board vehicles.

Travelling if you have a disability

There are various schemes that can support you with travel, such as blue badge parking permits, Dial-a-Ride, Freedom Pass, and taxicard schemes.

  • Disabled Persons Freedom Pass travel pass for disabled people allows free travel across London and free bus journeys nationally.
  • Disabled Person’s Rail card if you have a disability that makes travelling by train difficult you might qualify for the Disabled Persons Railcard.
  • Blue Badge parking permits helps disabled people with severe mobility problems to access goods and services by allowing them to park close to their destination.
  • Bus and Tram discount card
  • Dial-a-Ride a membership scheme for free door-to-door transport service for disabled people who can't use buses, trains or the Tube.
  • Motability provides an affordable, worry-free way for people with disabilities to lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair in exchange for their mobility allowance.
  • Taxicard Scheme provides subsidised transport for people who have serious mobility impairment and difficulty in using public transport.
  • London Travel Watch is the independent, statutory watchdog for transport users in and around London.
  • Transport for All dedicated to make travelling around London easier

Driving with a disability

The following sites outline support available to help young people with SEND with learning to drive.


Rate this page